Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Try as I might, it is a herculean task to find commercially produced mayo or salad dressings that are not soybean oil-based. After examining an entire wall of salad dressings, the only one I found that was not made with soybean oil or HFCS was Litehouse. I have yet to discover a mayo produced in the US that isn't made with soybean oil.

Most of the time I prefer my own dressings made from fresh ingredients, but there are times when I desire the convenience of just reaching into the fridge and drizzling something on without getting out the wire whisk.

I wonder how long the food industry has actually been using soybean oil so widely - I don't even remember its existence back in the 70s or 80s. Maybe I just wasn't looking - who knows. I just want it out of my diet, along with the HFCS.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know there are plenty of folks who are actually allergic to soy products - perhaps they have some products to suggest here. I appreciate any contribution - thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Both Hellmann's and Best (which are both Best Foods product, one on the west half of the country, one on the east half) have a version of their mayonnaise with canola oil, and sugar rather than HFCS.

It's the canola variety, which is also either cholesterol-free or just low, can't remember which.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
There are only a few brands with olive or canola oil, but if I had an allergy I would certainly make my own mayo, it is actually very simple.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
There are only a few brands with olive or canola oil, but if I had an allergy I would certainly make my own mayo, it is actually very simple.
It's definitely great to make your own if you use it often. However if you only use a little bit once in awhile, it's wasteful. Homemade mayo's only good in the fridge for around a week, and makes over a cup of the stuff. In other words, I can't make a tablespoon of mayo at a time. If I go through a cup in three month's time I'd be surprised.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
While I do have a jar of mayo in my fridge (it's American made so it likely uses soy bean oil) I rarely use it. Instead, I usually make my own aioli at home because it is so easy to make, it tastes better than mayo, I can control the quality, it's healthier than mayo, and I can use it on so many things; everything from steamed vegetables to hamburgers.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Both Hellmann's and Best (which are both Best Foods product, one on the west half of the country, one on the east half) have a version of their mayonnaise with canola oil, and sugar rather than HFCS.

It's the canola variety, which is also either cholesterol-free or just low, can't remember which.
I repped everyone but you since I have to "spread it around" first. Nice phrase to use in a thread about mayo, hehe! So thanks go to you here.

I will have to check again - I guess on this side of the Rockies it's Best Foods. Hellmann's is widely recognized throughout Europe and is a superior mayo (at least the European formula is - I haven't tried US Hellmann's).

The canola oil (and olive oil) is desirable for the Omega 3 vs. the Omega 6 which is in most all vegetable and grain oils. When I learned that Omega 6 causes inflammation, I began making a conscientious effort to avoid products containing it.

If anyone has some recommendations on salad dressings too I would be much obliged!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Hellmann's canola mayo, plus some plain (unflavored) yogurt - equal portions. Add minced raw garlic, and fresh dillweed, chopped finely off the stalk. You can also add some minced sun-dried tomatos but I prefer it without. That's a dip. Add more yogurt to thin it out and make a THICK creamy salad dressing. Best way to apply it to the salad is, put the salad in a big plastic bag. Put a dollop of dressing in the bag. Shut the bag. Shake it up good! Then dump the whole thing out into the salad bowl and add some sunflower seeds and a sprig of dill to garnish.

You can do the same thing but with bleu cheese crumbled instead of the dill and garlic.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times
Trader Joe's makes mayo that has no preservatives or HFCS, it's actually not sweetened at all; and it tastes very good! I would imagine their salad dressings do not have any of that other junk too!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Trader Joe's organic mayo has soybean oil. There's nothing "wrong" with soybean oil. It isn't junk. It's a perfectly fine ingredient for mayo to contain. The problem, is that the OP doesn't want soybean oil-based mayo. Maybe he's allergic.

I didn't check on any of the other mayos that Trader Joe's sells, but that one particular one, is soy based.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I wonder how long the food industry has actually been using soybean oil so widely - I don't even remember its existence back in the 70s or 80s. Maybe I just wasn't looking - who knows. I just want it out of my diet, along with the HFCS.
YES.
It was so subtle, this soy entering into our food. First it was a trickle.
Now it is like the mighty Mississippi River.
It has completely permeated our diet.

Anonchick, I can't speak for Don'tH8, but for me, I prefer moderation in all things, and soy is everywhere. I too want to avoid it, but it's difficult!

Research has *not* been conclusive, but soy has been connected with both thyroid and breast cancer. I've read of soy's connection with inflammatory conditions.
That's not necessarily why I want to avoid it. I think maybe I've even defended soy before right here on CD. But I now, as with HFCS, I can see how ubiquitous it is. Can't you become allergic to something if it is a long-term portion of your diet? It just doesn't sit well with me that we are constantly bombarded with soy and corn.

Hellman's Olive Oil Dressing (they don't call it mayonnaise) has more soybean oil than olive oil. But the Canola stuff does indeed lack any soybean oil whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink