Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times

Advertisements

It's sort of funny that you make a post about not eating out and cooking at home to be healthy and the response from most people is to stop eating out and cook at home as it is healthy.

Yes, cooking yourself can cost more. Starting to cook at home is an investment to get spices, dried foods, etc. The trick is really buying in bulk and buying frozen items when things are out of season. You can buy the larger bin of yogurt. Get a huge thing of oats. You don't really buy oatmeal, you make it. Get the regular stuff. You can add in cinnamon and sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
Target, Walmart, & Kroger also have coupons on their websites too. Kroger even has a program where you can electronically load coupons to your Kroger card...However they wont double or triple then.
how does the doubling and tripling work? i used a coupon at a grocery store here and when it rung up, it was double! i felt like i won the lottery! i need to know how that works.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 AM

247 posts, read 498,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how does the doubling and tripling work? i used a coupon at a grocery store here and when it rung up, it was double! i felt like i won the lottery! i need to know how that works.

You'll have to check your local store....stores policies differ throughout the US. Example- My Krogers triples coupons up to 35 cents & doubles up to 50 cents. Yours may not do that though. As far as 'how does it work?' what do you mean? All I know is if its up to a certain amont, they triple or double the coupons worth unless otherwised stated on the coupon. I don't know why its happening, all I know is I'm saving $$!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
You'll have to check your local store....stores policies differ throughout the US. Example- My Krogers triples coupons up to 35 cents & doubles up to 50 cents. Yours may not do that though. As far as 'how does it work?' what do you mean? All I know is if its up to a certain amont, they triple or double the coupons worth unless otherwised stated on the coupon. I don't know why its happening, all I know is I'm saving $$!
i mean how do i know when they are doubling or tripling coupons? but i guess you are saying stores have blanket policies regarding this, so ill have to check with my store and get their coupon rules.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 AM

247 posts, read 498,608 times
Quote:
i mean how do i know when they are doubling or tripling coupons? but i guess you are saying stores have blanket policies regarding this, so ill have to check with my store and get their coupon rules.

It varies from store to store. You have to check the store you go to. The one I go to does it everyday, where as another store of the same kind 15 miles from my house only does it on a certain day. Go to www.kroger.com or whatever store you go to, type in your zip code, click the individual store you go to & find their coupon policy. I recommend printing it out too just in case.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It varies from store to store. You have to check the store you go to. The one I go to does it everyday, where as another store of the same kind 15 miles from my house only does it on a certain day. Go to www.kroger.com or whatever store you go to, type in your zip code, click the individual store you go to & find their coupon policy. I recommend printing it out too just in case.
i may have to ask when i go there. i couldnt find my shop rite in middletown's coupon policy. i am wondering if i can expect to get peanut butter for less than 1.04 a pound. i got 12 pounds at that price the other day at costco and im wondering if i should pick up another 12. i eat peanut butter every day, so it goes.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I have been eating healthy for the last 6-7 weeks and I noticed it costs a lot more. Like when I eat out...I don't eat any fried foods, burgers, etc. and I eat at fast food places like Boston Market, Wendy's (salads), Taco Bell (diet fresco tacos), Chipotle/Qdoba Mexican Grills (salads, burrito bowls, tacos...with no sour cream and very little cheese), KFC (grilled chicken), etc. and stay away from McDonald's, Burger King, Popeyes, Bojangles, Long John Silvers, etc. due to the lack of healthier choices. When I grocery shop, I buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and sometimes frozen. I eat one greek yogurt (without high frutose corn syrup and geletin) every morning and they are better for you but more expensive. I buy certain meats and fish like salmon, boneless skinless chicken breasts and boneless skinless chicken thighs, talipia, pork lion, etc. I buy quaker weight control oatmeal and sometimes I have carbs like 100% wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. but try to cut carbs in the evening times and have them in the morning and for lunch. I also heard that you can eat carbs but you can't mix them with meat...like either eat carbs and veggies or meat and veggies due to the way the body digest them together. Is this true? Also for snacking I eat fresh fruit like mixed berries (strawberries, black/blueberries, and raspberries), bananas, oranges, melons, apples, etc. I also don't eat chips unless they sun chips, pretzels or baked lays. I eat trail mixes without candy...you know the healthier ones with dried berries, cranberries, raisins, almonds, and other nuts. I also like dried pineapple.
As with anything else, you can make choices in your healthy eating. For instance, a serving of steel cut oatmeal, I would expect, is considerably less expensive than a serving of greek yogurt.

Bringing a banana and apple and possibly some granola would be much more cost effective for lunch than eating out.

As far as lunch and dinner, consider meatless with beans and brown rice. This is very cost effective and healthy.

Yes, organic costs more, but in the long run, the reduced exposure to chemicals is well worth it in my book. Also, make certain that the grains that you do eat (as well as snacks) are made from non GMO products. Mot likely ALL of the grocery store brands are GMO unless they specifically state otherwise.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Amazing how young the average life expectancy has doubled since the 1800's when there was nothing but organic food.

Its a conspiracy I tell you. Keep the American worker alive longer and healthier than at any time in human history. WHY?!?!

So the evil corporations can suck more work out of the average human for their bottom line.

Damn those greedy corporations and government agencies for giving every human on this planet better living conditions than at anytime since the dawn of time.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Amazing how young the average life expectancy has doubled since the 1800's when there was nothing but organic food.
it is comical how people have jumped on the "organic food" bandwagon and they actually think its a good idea to pay the insane prices for it. good, the poorer they are, the richer i am.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
it is comical how people have jumped on the "organic food" bandwagon and they actually think its a good idea to pay the insane prices for it. good, the poorer they are, the richer i am.
Keep on raking it in as long as this wave lasts. More power to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink