Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Me, I don't like it hot.

I happened to go into the kitchen to toss out a bit of trash, and I happened to notice that my room mate had bought FOUR large bottles of hot sauce. I guess she got a deal. I cannot fathom using that much hot sauce in a few months time...when she's the only one to be using them.

So, anyway, do you like it hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
what i don't like is too much of 1 ingredient. i know a girl who will put a mountain of cayenne pepper in something, and my whole body starts to sweat, and get chills.

i prefer to use a pinch of cumin, slightly more cayenne, and then a moderate amount of white pepper and paprika.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I love spicy but I hate hot. A little heat is nice, smothering something in chili to me is pointless. You are just masking the flavour of the ingredients.

I will never understand how anyone for example can take something as delicate as Scallops and completely destroy the taste with lots of chillies. To me that is a crime against this wonderful ingredient. I love chillies , in delicate and subtle quantities. Anything else and I might as well just be eating chillies on their own.

People often mix up hot and spicy. I love spicy food. In the right measures.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
I love it hot! Oh wait.......I thought this was the Relationships forum.

No, I don't like my food too spicy hot. Just a little bit of a kick is fine for me, but I don't like having my tastebuds burned!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
I used to love hot and spicy foods, As I got older in more into flavors learned through cooking, I sort of got out of the Hot- Kick me in the butt thing.
I do keep a bottle of hot sauce in my fridge at all times mostly for taco's and chili and things like that...
I'm just not so much into hot any more on everything.

I bought a publix brand hot salsa a few months back, I used to eat this stuff like crazy on chips, after a few chips I had to stop eating it..it was just too freekin hot, Maybe it's age???

Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Not at all, plain black pepper is hot to me.
Nothing spicy, food that is bland to most people
is fine with me....

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,676 times
I like it VERY hot, but what you all need to realize is that everyone has a different palate. What is scorching hot to you may be quite tasty to me, or another. But I do agree that it's about flavor, and matching up to the item being seasoned, and not just about pure heat.

For me, I grow my own peppers. I dry them at the end of the season and keep a ready supply of ground pepper mix, including mostly habeneros (EXTREMELY HOT) mixed with jalepeno, cayenne, serrano and several other varieties. I grind it fine so that I can put a small amount, or more on any food I like.

I think most hot sauces are overburden with vinegar and other fillers and unnatural ingredients. My hot pepper dust is pure pepper, with a variety of different types to give a depth of flavor.

The blend is delicious over just about any kind of meat, as well as most veggies, starches and legumes. It is OUTSTANDING when sprinkled on fresh melons or fresh-picked strawberries. LOVE IT.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Eh, like I said, I just found it odd that she got four bottles of it.

Most people use less than a teaspoon of the stuff at a time, right?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post

No, I don't like my food too spicy hot. Just a little bit of a kick is fine for me, but I don't like having my tastebuds burned!
This is me, too. I like food to have a bit of a kick, as long as it melds and complements the other flavors present. I don't like food that tastes like burning above everything.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
I like the heat, provided it is not masking all the other flavors of a dish. Think - mango chutney. Love the heat, but it is balanced with the sweetness of the mangoes. If it's just a burning sensation on the tongue that someone is after, then all the other food is just a vehicle. It could be filet mignon or ground buzzard - how would you tell if all you can taste is fire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink