Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Looks like whipped cream? Whipped cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - I don't love it but I've never known anyone to have such a revulsion to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Looks like whipped cream? Whipped cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - I don't love it but I've never known anyone to have such a revulsion to it!
Yep, it's whipped cream but in a can and it tastes revolting to me. It always has a chemical aftertaste somehow. I know a restaurant is not going to be a good one when they put that stuff on their desserts... If a chef can't be bothered to whip up some real cream then he obviously has other issues.

I use whipped cream rarely but when I do I take out my whip and whip it myself. It is so simple and so much nicer IMO.

Whipped custard was even more vile though.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Canned tomatoes make a great sauce. Canned beans are also good. Corn is the only other one I would touch, and not very often. I grew up on fresh and frozen, but I don't even really like frozen veg unless it's cooked into a soup first.

I promise nobody has topped yesterday's kale chips for awfulness yet except Moosie with her description of marmot and rotten shark. That kale looked so good fresh and raw too. We should have stir-fried it w/ oyster sauce!

Other blechy foods are oysters and tongue. I don't like the textures.
I forgot about canned beans and actually you are completely right, beans are fine in cans. The only ones with tomatoes the canning process does not seem to alter too badly. Canned corn is OK but I still prefer fresh.

I have never had Kale Chips but I must admit you are not selling it to me ! Is it fried and dried like potato chips ?

I love vegetable chips ( carrots, beetroot, swede, parnip) but this does not sound very good...

And for the Love of all that is sacred stay away from Rotten Shark.

I like you too much to see you subjected to such horrors. I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to food but even I have my limits.

I actually thought I was not going to be able to swallow it , it was that bad. And wish to this day I hadn't. I think I would eat just about anything over this.

I love Oysters though. Tongue, not so much !

Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM

103 posts, read 503,698 times
Cilantro.
Bleu cheese (rotten Ranch).

Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times
Quote:
Yep, it's whipped cream but in a can
Yeah, where I'm from, whipped cream usually refers to the kind that comes in an air pressured can. If someone says "whipped cream" to me, I assume it comes from a can unless otherwise specified.

Quote:
and it tastes revolting to me. It always has a chemical aftertaste somehow. I know a restaurant is not going to be a good one when they put that stuff on their desserts... If a chef can't be bothered to whip up some real cream then he obviously has other issues.
Well, some people actually prefer it. My mom has her own canister for it and just replaces the air cartridge and cream when needed. She puts it on practically ever dessert she makes. I like it on hot chocolate but that's about it. I could see expecting a good restaurant to manually whip cream but at home, for regular usage, a can is a quick and easy way to get whipped cream.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,529,337 times
Quote:
I forgot about canned beans and actually you are completely right, beans are fine in cans. The only ones with tomatoes the canning process does not seem to alter too badly. Canned corn is OK but I still prefer fresh.

I have never had Kale Chips but I must admit you are not selling it to me ! Is it fried and dried like potato chips ?

I love vegetable chips ( carrots, beetroot, swede, parnip) but this does not sound very good...

And for the Love of all that is sacred stay away from Rotten Shark.

I like you too much to see you subjected to such horrors. I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to food but even I have my limits.

I actually thought I was not going to be able to swallow it , it was that bad. And wish to this day I hadn't. I think I would eat just about anything over this.

I love Oysters though. Tongue, not so much !
It was a raw foodist type recipe. Dehydrated kale chips. You coat them first in olive oil (yum) and lemon juice (yum) and salt (yum) and then you put some product called nutritional yeast (?) on it which my friend told me would taste cheesy. She is convinced the yeast ruined them, she may be right that it is what made them gross, but I don't think I'd have been much of a fan anyway! Very dry (obviously since dehydrated) and more brittle than crispy.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,097,764 times
Hmm, I like almost all the foods mentioned in this thread! Another thing I thought of are raw apples and water chestnuts. I don't mind the taste but I can't stand the texture. I really hate the recent trend of including apples in chicken, egg or tuna salad. Stop the madness!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
i hate copper carrots, and any kind of casserole made with seafood.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,820,011 times
1.Overcooked pasta, I cannot eat it, period.
2.Almost every canned food (other than San Marzano tomatoes): after being immersed in a liquid, full of preservatives environment for God knows how long, nothing is tasty.
3.Food swimming in sauce, am I supposed to taste the food or the sauce?
4.Fake mayonnaise. Real, pure mayonnaise is a wonderful, delicate thing, but that fake thing is horrendous!
5.Any kind of viscera.
6.Anything one adds water to, microwaves, and it is ready in less than 10 minutes!
7.Flavored stuff in general: if I want strawberry milk, I buy milk and strawberries. Separately.
8.Anything that says "-free". If it is fat free, the manufacturer will likely compensate it with loads of sugar, or vice-versa. Lose-lose situation, at least for me.
9.Anything minced. God knows what kind of meat/chicken/fish ended up on those nuggets.
10.Anything loaded (heavily!) with sodium. I love salt and have to make smart choices when it comes to high sodium intake, so I prefer to have salty stuff I can easily spot and love (e.g. prosciutto) than food that has a ton of sodium and I am absolutely unaware of.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Hmm, I like almost all the foods mentioned in this thread! Another thing I thought of are raw apples and water chestnuts. I don't mind the taste but I can't stand the texture. I really hate the recent trend of including apples in chicken, egg or tuna salad. Stop the madness!
I used to love to cook with water chestnuts because of the crunch, now I think they have no flavor and rarely use them even in Asian cooking.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink