Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So who has done this, and how can you be sure the food has remained frozen the whole journey and is safe to eat? Any package delivered to my house sits on the porch for at least a few hours, for starters...
Comes in dry ice; is perfectly safe, but figure out what you are paying: It is not top quality and a waste of money in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We just received a gift for Christmas from them. It was supposed to arrive on Saturday, but it arrived a day early, by UPS. It had been packed in dry ice and everything was still frozen, however the dry ice was practically all melted. I think if it had not been delivered a day early it would not have been solidly frozen.
I feel certain that Omaha Steaks is well versed in getting their product to people intact, so if your product was not frozen, they would replace it.
It has been unseasonably warm here, so that is probably why UPS hustled the delivery.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't know what the price of it is right off hand but I would say most of it is USDA choice which I can get locally. Sam's club carries it at a good price ($7 for strip, $8 for ribeye) and the quality is quite good. As for prime, my local HEB carries it as well. Prime is more of course, usually $15lb to $18lb for ribeye. Most of the time, choice is good enough for me.
let's just say, if you figure it out by lb, it is very pricyh and let's just say, in my opinion the meat is very poor quality. There was a time when this was not the case.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Glad I'm not ordering steak! Don't think you can go too far wrong with King Crab legs, unless they've overcooked them and they're rubbery...

Old 12-16-2015, 09:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let's just say, if you figure it out by lb, it is very pricyh and let's just say, in my opinion the meat is very poor quality. There was a time when this was not the case.
We haven't tried the steaks yet, but I've done the math before on their packages and there's a lot of cheap filler in there. It isn't as if we don't have high quality meat in the stores.

Anyway, we appreciated the gift. It's better than some useless trinket.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM

Absolutely; we all have too much junk sitting around! If not an experience gift (tickets to something), a consumable gift (food/drink) is second best. If I didn't overpay for it, I'd just enjoy it! And the rewards points are almost the same as not paying for it...

Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 AM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
My parents used to order us a gift combo from there for years. Every year, the steaks were incredibly underwhelming and each year they seemed worse than the year before. (Except for the hot dogs! Those are amazing!) The pork chops are merely ok, nothing special. I found the stuffed sole to be nasty. And the potato things are sodium bombs. One time we got two 2" T-bones that were really good, but according the website they were $50.

I tried being coy and suggested to my folks that they weren't getting much value for what they were spending. This year my sister just straight out asked them to please not send them. My mom replied that there was no chance. They had ordered some for themselves earlier this year and were utterly disappointed in the quality. So thankfully Omaha Steaks are no longer going to arrive in the future. It's a christmas miracle!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Glad I'm not ordering steak! Don't think you can go too far wrong with King Crab legs, unless they've overcooked them and they're rubbery...
$30 a pound plus shipping. That's just wrong. So wrong. And have a look at the reviews. . .

Surely, you can find a better use for those points.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Uh, I don't care what it costs others; I'm not paying for it. And nope! As I say, the travel option is a headache of paper trails, and I don't need or want any more "merchandise"...

Bon appetite! Love me some crab legs...

Old 12-16-2015, 02:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Is it delivered in a refrigerated truck versus UPS or USPS?
UPS doesn't deliver in refrigerated trucks. The meats are packed in a styrofoam cooler and packed with dry ice. Do you know what dry ice is? I ask because someone already explained this and then you asked the question above.

Mine came from UPS. We ordered a huge assortment of meats with a gift card given by an employer. We ate one meal. The rest we cooked for the dogs. You'll find better meat at your local grocery store! This stuff is HORRIBLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink