Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to host an evening meal for 10 people this weekend. I have to keep it simple because it's just too hot to grill out or use the oven.

My main course will be italian beef (crock pot) please give me some ideas for "stay cool" meal side dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I would start with bruchetta and then have a cucumber salad, cole slaw, and other cold salads.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
I make it in a trifle bowl with red and yellow pear tomatoes, very pretty!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
I'd serve
antipasto platter (appetizer)
gazpacho soup
corn & green bean salad or white bean, zucchini & parmesan salad
tortellini salad
green salad
fresh, crusty bread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
My main course will be italian beef (crock pot) please give me some ideas for "stay cool" meal side dishes.
Larksong, what is "Italian beef"?

I am thinking panzanella right off the bat, though.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
How about these:
carrot raisin salad
pasta salad
waldorf salad
cole slaw
potato salad (normally I like cold salads with mayo, but I like potato salads w/ olive oil)
steamed veggies in foil on the grill
grilled veggies, unf take more babysitting than steamed.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Larksong, what is "Italian beef"?
Hot, thinly sliced beef with Italian-seasoned broth. Pile it on a good Italian roll and serve it with the jus on the side. I am normally not a fan of wet (soggy) sandwiches, but Italian beef is the bee's knees. I have learned this upon moving to the Chicago area.

I second the cold salad idea. And maybe some fruit. The sweetness will be refreshing.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
You might go a bit farther afield in the Mediterranean and serve hummus and pita bread with kalamata olives. If you have a food processor, a couple of cans of chick-peas, some fresh garlic, a tablespoon or so of tahini, lemon juice and olive oil, you can make a killer batch of hummus in about 10 minutes. Add some roasted red pepper if you want something a little different.

Raita, which is a cucumber and yogurt salad flavored with mint leaves and occasionally fine-chopped green onions, would be another possibility.

My spouse recently made up a version of aroshka which was absolutely wonderful. It's similar to raita, but uses kefir instead of yogurt, so it's like a cold soup. He included radishes along with the cucumber, but opted to leave out the potatoes and hardboiled eggs that the recipe called for. Very tasty stuff, and ideal for a hot sticky day.

The only other thing I'd add would be to have a huge spread of fresh fruit for people to nosh on. It's peak season for stone fruit and melons (at least in our neck of the woods), and that always makes a popular side dish.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Getting ready to host an evening meal for 10 people this weekend. I have to keep it simple because it's just too hot to grill out or use the oven.

Can you believe we are saying something like it is too hot to grill: that is really bad, but we are saying the same thing. I think tonight we will do kabobs though.

Now, to your situation: an array of salads starting with a tomato/cuke salad is great for starters. If you do not want to serve anything warm add a pasta salad, if you want one thing heated I would do a pasta with a cream and tomato sause, topped with parmesan chsese. Another favorite for us always is Asparagus, steamed if you do not want to do the grill thing. Of course just a nice plate of cheese with crackers, grape tomatoes, a little fruit and crackers works well.

Lots of cold beer, wine and mint ice tea to finish it off.

Nita

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times
Good suggestions everyone.........with your help I'm on the right track.

Went out today and purchased fresh veggies and fruits for salads and fruit platter. Just had to throw in a couple of bottles of my favorite wine too.

It's cooled of just a little but I'm still going to do the no cook thing in order to keep it simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink