Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"pears that were like nothing you could do with them..."

What does that mean? Were they hard as rocks, rotten?
Soft and the skin was falling off with back skin etc.
I have canned fruit before and these were at the bottom of the pile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I can't imagine what it must feel like to swallow your pride and go to a food pantry only to be given a bag of rotten/expired food. Ouch.

Talk about kicking 'em when their down..

It does sound as though that particular pantry has some quality control issues. Looks like a "bad apple" - if you'll pardon the pun.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
A friend of mine went to a food bank in NM and got : box of old potatoes, pears that were like nothing you could do with them, some very OLD BREAD..LIKE 30 DAYS PAST PULL DATE, some well hard to describe a pack of SOMETHING: that was in a bag that looked like raisins, or chunk's of something and NO LABEL, NO NOTHING ON IT.

SO WE called the food bank and said . hmm not sure want it is..

so I am goin to take pix and send it to the well who ever and see what it is..

my POINT IS: Should't food banks be responsible in giving away food that is whole some; and not moldy, or ?? in gredients...

People are thankful; but not for food that is not edieble etc.

What do you think.?

HW
I am sure you do not mean this as an insult to anyone, but as someone who puts in many hours working at a food pantry (bank) I am very surprised at what you are posting. Yes, as far, as I know, food banks are very careful about what they do give to people. There are policies that must be followed (I worked in NM as well as here) I am floored this happened to your friend. There are some staples that are perfectly safe and able to be distributed after the expiration date, many up to 6 months because the government assures us they are safe and very edible. Fresh fruits and veggies, again, are usually very fresh and most food banks, unless they are very large offer only a small amount of produce as it does spoil and it is hard to come by. What we offer and this was true in NM is whatever some kind sole who takes things to the Farmers Market did not sell. They donate it and everything is given away in a few days. Normally we have a large supply of bread, again, it is bread the truck picks up from a grocery store one day and delivers to us the next. It is never old or moldy. What we do not use we take home, put in our freezers and use the following week. Those of us who do volunteer to help spend hours on our feet packing bags for those who are in need, some people interview the families or singles (in some cases) we even package special bags for diabetics and for those who are single (they need less) or those who have very large families as their needs are greater. It is hard work, we are very particular what we give away (even asking if a person is alergic to peanuts before giving them peanut butter) and noramlly leave exhausted but it is satisfing knowing we have helped those less fortunate have food. NIta

Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Hmmm, well that has not been my experience with food bank food. As a matter of fact, I picked up food for a person, who is home bound, and it looked pretty good. Three boxes of food, most of it stuff from Costco, just a few days old, all looked pretty tasty to me. Lots of fresh vegetables, not unedible, large bag of baking potatoes, looked good, a case of Starbuck's coffee drinks, an assortment of cheese, and meat...Food bank food is not meant to be a staple, it supplements food stamps, or whatever else you have....I guess it depends on the food bank.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
My friend is 70 years old and not getting along very well, so I helped him drive and carry the goods to his car. Just surprised at what he got. A few months ago we went to a different food bank and received some very good quality items. The canned goods were very good as well as the bread, and vegetables.
Guess what you get is what you get.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Sorry your friend had that experience...cutting mold off anything shouldn't be necessary as it spreads and you can't see spores....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink