Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times

Advertisements

I just tried mixing a few lima beans into a package of packaged noodles such as a stroganof or herb and butter style and they were really great. We're kind of short on money right now so we didn't have any meat to go with the noodles. Those few lima beans were like biting into little pieces of chicken !
I was wondering if anyone has any other little tricks for eating cheaply without getting bored and or malnourished ? !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Frozen are awful. Fresh are OK, but they're like Brussels sprouts to me. I can only eat a few of them and only when they're very fresh.

I'm big on stir fry or steaming for cheap eats. Lots of veggies of different sorts and then a little protein of some sort; usually chicken or pork or shrimp. I find it very filling without using a lot of expensive protein. Pastas are good for this too but aren't generally as nutritious. Soy beans really do have a lot of protein but they can be expensive. The nice thing about stirfrying is that you can shop all kinds of veggies and meats on sale and you can mix them together and it usually tastes delicious.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
tey a pot of pinto beans seasoned wiht chilie spices, cook them in a crok pot with a couple of boulion cubes and chilie yummy. OR mix a can of tuna with raman noodles pretty good, poor mans potatoe soup, Some boxed masshed potaoes with lots of milk , season packet and a bit of spam or a couple pices of fried leftover bacon

Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Bread pudding is really easy and pretty cheap - just need old bread, milk, sugar and eggs. A staple in our family growing up was a crock pot of pinto beans, bread with butter (pour the beans over the bread and butter - yummy!) and a green salad. Also, those limas are good with bread and butter. Or, try black beans cooked overnight in a crock pot over rice with chopped tomatoes and green onions - it's a complete protein with the combination of beans and rice, plus your veggies. Spaghetti is a good way too - add a few mushrooms and/or olives to make up for the meatballs.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Lentil soup or stew is good.

I use a variety of dried beans to make some tasty soups in the crock pot. They freeze well and you can season them to suit your taste and/or dietary requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink