Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm in NC & the Bojangles in my town has hockey puck bisquits. I've had better at McDonald's. I'd rather go to Popeye's. Overall, though, I do like Captain D's. Their clam strips are as good as Howard Johnson's used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I keep forgetting that not every franchisee in a chain holds up their end of the bargain when it comes to quality. My condolences. Popeye's biscuits (even down HERE) are quite good, probably because they butter the bottoms even more than the tops (at least at the Popeye's nearest me).

Bo's around here is pretty good.. Though I will take exception to them having the best chicken.. I would reserve that for Popeye's. Perhaps.. That's because we don't really have Popeye's around here. I used to get it in NoVA all the time.. And I will say that when Bojangles used to have the two styles, Southern and Spicy chicken, I did think they were competitive with Popeye's, but since they switched to a single style about 10-15 years ago.. Not as big a fan.

As for biscuits.. Flip a coin between Bojangles and Hardee's biscuits. Both of those are what I would consider the best out there short of homemade. And, just because it will make some of you break out a mop for the drool... I'll mention Hardee's Cinnamon and Raisin and Bojangles Bo-Berry biscuits.

You want BAD biscuits.. McDonalds and Burger King have terrible biscuits, though the BK Crossanwich isn't bad. Been years since I had either, so, perhaps things have changed, but they were so bad I don't want to try them again. Absolute worst, bottom of the barrel is Jack in the Box. So bad I wouldn't even want to go back there for ANYTHING, breakfast or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 05:31 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I'm really liking Panera lately. It's summer--I love their salads with chicken and whatever else. I ask them to add mandarin oranges to it.

Chipotle is good too but their decor is definitely...ugly. Kills my appetite.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:34 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Bo's around here is pretty good.. Though I will take exception to them having the best chicken.. I would reserve that for Popeye's. Perhaps.. That's because we don't really have Popeye's around here. I used to get it in NoVA all the time.. And I will say that when Bojangles used to have the two styles, Southern and Spicy chicken, I did think they were competitive with Popeye's, but since they switched to a single style about 10-15 years ago.. Not as big a fan.

As for biscuits.. Flip a coin between Bojangles and Hardee's biscuits. Both of those are what I would consider the best out there short of homemade. And, just because it will make some of you break out a mop for the drool... I'll mention Hardee's Cinnamon and Raisin and Bojangles Bo-Berry biscuits.

You want BAD biscuits.. McDonalds and Burger King have terrible biscuits, though the BK Crossanwich isn't bad. Been years since I had either, so, perhaps things have changed, but they were so bad I don't want to try them again. Absolute worst, bottom of the barrel is Jack in the Box. So bad I wouldn't even want to go back there for ANYTHING, breakfast or otherwise.
I'm serious, I've had biscuits at 2 different McDonalds near me that were better than the local Bojangles. This is since McDonalds introduced the biscuit sandwiches 4 or 5 years ago. I can buy better biscuits at the local supermarket.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityTodd View Post
Blasphemey. It's not just not Italian food, it's not good food. A bloody Italian restaurant that can't even make a half decent red sauce. BLeh ...
"Good" food is subjective, what you find good might not be what other people find good.

It's truly bizarre to me that people believe their own preferences and taste buds get some overriding vote to where they can tell other people what is good.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm really liking Panera lately. It's summer--I love their salads with chicken and whatever else. I ask them to add mandarin oranges to it.

Chipotle is good too but their decor is definitely...ugly. Kills my appetite.
We do like Panera's. We don't eat there often but when we do, we are always satisfied. Oh, and for those who like Popeye's I agree. We probably only get chicken there once a year but it is our favorite chicken restaurant.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
As I am sitting in a Panera location that is managed by the chains WORST franchisee (Covelli), I think that the food is pretty mediocre as I much down on a stale bagel that is 2x the price of the Kroger store nearby.

Popeyes can be very good or very bad depending on the franchisee. I like their fried chicken BUT there is NO consistency between stores, even in the same region.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I used to like Bahama Breeze, there aren't any in this neck of the woods though.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As I am sitting in a Panera location that is managed by the chains WORST franchisee (Covelli), I think that the food is pretty mediocre as I much down on a stale bagel that is 2x the price of the Kroger store nearby.

Popeyes can be very good or very bad depending on the franchisee. I like their fried chicken BUT there is NO consistency between stores, even in the same region.
I would love to have a Panera near enough so that they would deliver. I only go there for the salads and the smoothies and those would be good when I don't feel well. Got a free pastry and it was horrible, which is fine with me, because I don't want to eat pastry anyway. I wonder who manages the different Paneras--one near Boston was wonderful but one in New Hampshire had rotted lettuce in the salad. Over all, I still like the selection of foods though.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
One place that I'll mention, I don't recall having seen it discussed here.. Folks in Texas probably will know this more than others, but Golden Chick

Two words.. Yeast Rolls.. Dang good chicken tenders as well, but the Yeast Rolls.. I'll go out and buy a dozen of them sometimes.. They opened several here in the upstate of SC and they have not fared well from what i can tell.. 2 locations closed within a year or so.. The last one I never see anybody at.. But, they've now opened another one in Easley and have another scheduled to be opened in a month or so in Spartanburg.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I'm torn on whether "yeast rolls" sounds like a delicious pastry or a medical condition requiring a gynecologist and advice to lay off the antibiotics.

Given location in the south I'd assume the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink