Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times

Advertisements

What do I miss that Mom made? everything. Especially her pork chops! No, Mom wasn't "outstanding" in the kitchen, but she cooked consistantly decent meals nonetheless. Everything was made with love, and the food she served was wholesome and nutritious. I'd give anything to have one of those pork chops-- served with a side of peas and some mashed potatoes-- just one more time. (licking lips)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM

560 posts, read 849,456 times
What great stories we've heard so far! And I've seen some things I'd like to try. What nice (and yummy) memories!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Mom was, at best, a mediocre cook but damn! the woman knew her way around a piece of meat. She could stew, braise, roast, bake a pierce of meat.

I really miss her mince pies. I mean little two bite mince tarts. I can see her rolling the pastry, cutting it and laying it into the pans (forget what they're called) filling, taking so much care. OK, so now I'm sad.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Veal and peppers, cooked in a pressure cooker. Fresh ham. I have no idea what cut of pork that was, but she roasted it with sauerkraut and potatoes, and served apple sauce on the side. I married a man who won't eat veal, pork or lamb, which formed the center of many of my favorite dinners growing up.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
mom wasn't the best cook (dad was) but she tried and there were a few things that will stay with me forever. The only thing she baked that we could eat was lemon pie. It was the best. She also made great, but very spicy hot chile. We didn't get the beans out of a can back then. What I don't miss is her jello or jello salad. She didn't wait to add the fruit til it started to set so the fruit was always sitting on the bottom, and the layer of rubber was just below the jello. The wonderful part of eating at home though was, we ate every single dinner at the kitchen table with the entire family. We didn't use TV trays, we didn't eat in shifts, and we ate everything on our plates.

Nita

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM

133 posts, read 175,437 times
My mom was a was a homemaking teacher so she was a WONDERFUL cook. Too many things to remember, but here are some favorites: potato salad, liver and onions, smothered pork chops, fried chicken, her deserts...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I suppose I already must make most of the foods she made, but I remember something she called cheese fondue, which was some sort of strata. It had creamy cheese and cubes of bread in it. I've gotten close, but never really duplicated it.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Mom's baked macaroni.
She made it with elbows, a whole block of crackerbarrel extra sharp cheddar, butter, milk and a small can of del monte tomato sauce for a whole pound of pasta, in a very large oven cassarole dish. I can not, can not, can not duplicate it.
She'd serve them with her breaded, fried pork chips; not chops. We'd call them chips as they were thin and cooked to death, but oh, so tasty! And always with Mott's apple sauce on the side.

Her breakfast applecake too. It smelled like heaven on a cold winter morning.

Her Christmas eve dinners. But not just the dinner-the whole event.

Popcorn and roasted chestnuts and breakfasts made in the livingroom fireplace.

(love & miss you my dear mom ♥)

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Mom was a home-economics major and when she put both her hands and mind into cooking and baking, she made some wonderful meals and treats
Loved her tuna noodle casseroles, meatloafs, banana nut bread, almond Christmas cookies,....

Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I find this thread REALLY interesting, I suppose because of the sheltered from good food way I grew up. Woks??? Really?? I got this mental image of my parents staring at it trying to figure out what it is, and my Dad then putting it on his head. There were 3 vegetables known to my father. Peas, corn, carrots. Add his idiosyncracies to the fact my mother grew up the youngest and never cooked, and you have to wonder why I and ONE of my sisters cook at all, let alone are good cooks!
There are, however a couple of things my mother could cook. She made a good meatloaf, and she makes good meatballs. My daughter even requests them when she comes home for Christmas. Other than that, we grew up on Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper, and Betty Crocker Au Rotten potatoes, as we called them. If it came in a box, my mother made it. Oh, and she used to give us Spam Sandwiches, on white bread. Cold. Right out of the can. Schloop it would slide out of the can, jelly and all, and she'd slice off a chunk, put it on a piece of Colonial white bread and serve it to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink