Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

A lot of what dictates your fridge-stored food is just what you grew up with, which can differ a lot from person to person. Sometimes that's just personal preference...
Here is a short list of food that does not needs to be refrigerated:
Potatoes - starch will turn to sugar
Tomatoes - get mushy and gross
Honey - gets really thick and hard
Onions - get soft in the fridge. Store outside, but away from potatoes.

Food you can refrigerate, but you don't need to:
Peanut butter - no reason
Bread and baked goods - get hard, taste old and stale
Bananas - turn black
Oil ( except peanut oil ) - no need, gets cloudy
Apples - they are fine on the counter, if you want cold, keep in the fridge

Food you need to refrigerate:
Meat
Milk
Eggs
Cheese - but take out an hour before eating, to improve the taste and texture
Butter - well, I always leave a small portion outside to get it soft and easy to spread. No fear - butter is made from pasteurized milk, it's less likely to grow bacteria.
Basically anything that says "refrigerate after opening" on the bottle.

Fruit and veggies - the list is long so check it here:
How to Keep Fruits and Veggies Fresh
Good tip about Ethylene producers (keep away from other fruits and vegetables)

As you can see the rules can pretty easily be bent for a lot of foods—so it's up to you how you store them—but this should at least keep you informed of the pros and cons of doing so for each food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Great list and info! Thanks Elnina!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I always get tripped up by condiments. My mother never refrigerated catsup or mayo, and we never got sick. Sometimes I wonder about the warnings on the jars.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Once sliced, onions should go in the fridge. Tomatoes, too, but if I slice a tomato, I tend to use it all on the spot. Not so with sliced or diced onions, necessarily.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I always get tripped up by condiments. My mother never refrigerated catsup or mayo, and we never got sick. Sometimes I wonder about the warnings on the jars.
Ketchup and mustard were always left out on the tables in the greasy spoon diners and dives of my youth, and still are when I go back home. Mayo, I don't mess with since it involves eggs, which are super perishable. If it's real mayo, as opposed to some sort of sandwich spread with no eggs, I'd def. go the refrigeration route. Rancid eggs are not something I wanna mess with.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Ketchup and vinegar both probably have enough vinegar in them to preserve them.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,737 times
When we got married, we discovered that while my family always kept the jelly in the fridge and the peanut butter in the cupboard, his kept the jelly in the cupboard and the peanut butter in the fridge! Different stokes for different folks I guess.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Did you guys saw the part about "ethylene can build up in the fridge"?
The Apples
Bananas
Tomatoes
Apricots
Cantaloupe
Avocados
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
and
Plums ?
When ethylene-producing foods are kept in close proximity with ethylene-sensitive foods, especially in a confined space (like a bag or drawer), the gas will speed up the ripening process of the other produce. Use this to your advantage if you want to speed up the ripening process of an unripe fruit, for example, by putting an apple in a bag with an unripe avocado.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Ketchup and vinegar both probably have enough vinegar in them to preserve them.
Meant to say ketchup and Mustard both, likely have enough vinegar to preserve them.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
All nut oils should be refrigerated, as they tend to go rancid quickly.

Also, I haven't tried it myself, as I hate bananas, but I read in Cook's Illustrated that refrigerating bananas is a great idea. Yes, the skin turns black quickly, but their experiments showed that the fruit actually stayed good much longer in the fridge than on the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink