Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,796 times

Advertisements

My mother in law was staying with us and she made this huge batch of beans (that no one ever eats and end up just sitting in my fridge for two weeks). I always thought that unused portions or left overs should be covered and refrigerated as soon as possible to avoid spoiling. I went to cover the left over beans and put them in my fridge and she told me that if I did that they would be spoiled because I had to leave them out until they were cold. If this is true I am pretty darn shocked my family and I haven't come down with some mad food poisoning because I am the queen of clean up and putting away left overs quick. Does anyone know if she is correct about letting food completely cool down before putting it away??? If yes I need to revamp my entire food handling process!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Interesting post because my mom does the same thing and so do I.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
never heard that--i just but it away because i dont like to let food sit out too long

Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
If something is really hot I will let it cool first, otherwise I put it in the fridge.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
I haven't heard that, but it seems that a lot of things the older generations do (the "old wives tales" )make a lot of sense. We just haven't discovered all the reasons yet! So maybe that makes it spoil, or maybe it means the nutritional value will go down, or maybe something else...but if it's something a lot of older people do I tend to believe it's the right thing to do!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
I always thought it was about not making the refrigerator work so hard at keeping things cool. Hopefully, I haven't outed myself as a complete imbecile when it comes to the way refrigerators work. I'm still putting things away sooner rather than later. But, I know people who leave things out overnight and still eat them. They're walking around to this day. Luck?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
I broke my rule of never logging in from work, just to answer your question.

You should chill your food as quickly as possible. The danger zone is between 130 F and 41 F. That's where most of your bacteria grows. The best thing to do is separate food into smaller portions so it cools faster.

This link will help you out. The Chill Factor

I had to spend 2 days at a health department serve safe class when I bought my food concession trailer. They were very big on stressing how important it is to get the food cooled off fast.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
COVER AND REFRIGERATE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!

Older people -- including my mother and grandmother -- used to let food cool down before fridging because older refrigerators didn't work as quickly or as coldly as current ones do. So putting hot foods in their 1940s or 1970s refrigerators would make the motors work very hard, warm up the foods around them in the fridge, and shorten the life of the machine.

Nowadays, not only are the motors much more efficient and can handle hot foods, but also we know a heckuva lot more about how botulism develops!!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I broke my rule of never logging in from work, just to answer your question.

You should chill your food as quickly as possible. The danger zone is between 130 F and 41 F. That's where most of your bacteria grows. The best thing to do is separate food into smaller portions so it cools faster.

This link will help you out. The Chill Factor

I had to spend 2 days at a health department serve safe class when I bought my food concession trailer. They were very big on stressing how important it is to get the food cooled off fast.
so which is it? do we cool and then refrigerate? or do we cool in the fridge right away?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Hmm... I dont know - I think that rule is more set aside for foods that have milk or foods that have mayo in them, like for example you wouldn't want to leave out potato salad, macaroni salad, etc... I have left beans out all night and then stuck them in the fridge the next day and ate them later, I didn't implode or explode LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink