Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I noticed when I was in high school that the smell of our vacuum-packed, plasticized fetal pigs that were used in human anatomy & physiology for dissection purposes closely resembled the scent that hits you when you walk into Subway. That pretty much did it for me.
Blech! That'll do it for me now. Bye Subway! Never liked them much anyway..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That is it!!! That is the "smell"! I could not identify it...until now.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
By default, I ended up at Subway this morning for breakfast. I'm working in a small town today with only a Subway. I ordered the breakfast flatbread, but the employee was very difficult to understand. Apparently she couldn't understand me, either, because she was preparing something different than what I had ordered. Since I had ordered the breakfast special I pointed to the large poster on the wall that pictured the sandwich I wanted. She finally figured it out. The flatbread itself was good, but the pre-made egg that was reheated was rubbery and tasteless.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
I noticed when I was in high school that the smell of our vacuum-packed, plasticized fetal pigs that were used in human anatomy & physiology for dissection purposes closely resembled the scent that hits you when you walk into Subway. That pretty much did it for me.
I never thought about it other than puzzlement as to the generic smell at Subway. Now that you mention it, I believe you are right. While I didn't get to plasticized fetal pigs in biology, the smell is laboratory and not commissary. For sure. Why the heck would they do that? I'm not comforted. I had some bad turkey at a Subway a decade ago and don't order anything when we go there other than some chips.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Seriously. Cold Cut Trio = Fetal Pig.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Seriously. Cold Cut Trio = Fetal Pig.
LOL, there probably is some ingredient overlap.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Time to leave the Food Forum.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
A few times I have asked if they have the footlong special and they say yes. I ask if I can have one, but to put all the food on only 6" of bread. Essentially making a 6" double meat sandwich...they can keep the other 6" of bread.

Had one guy tell me no, it had to be a footlong. I was kind of shocked when he told me he would have to charge me for a double meat if I only wanted half the bread. I don't get it.
Jack Nicholson encountered the same problem in Five Easy Pieces:

Jack: I'd like a plain omelet. No potatoes. Tomatoes instead. A cup of coffee and wheat toast.

Waitress: No substitutions.

Jack: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?

Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have number two, a plain omelet. It comes with fries and rolls.

Jack: I'd like a plain omelet. No potatoes on the plate. A cup of coffee and a side order of wheat toast.

Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast. I'll give you an English muffin or a coffee roll.

Jack: No side orders of toast? You make sandwiches, don't you? You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?

Waitress: I don't make the rules.

Jack: I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like a plain omelet and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast. No mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce, and a cup of coffee.

Waitress: A number two. A chicken salad sandwich. Hold the butter, the lettuce and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?

Jack: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast. Give me a check for a chicken salad sandwich and you haven't broken any rules.

Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?

Jack: I want you to hold it between your knees.

(He didn't get the toast or the omelet. He was kicked out of the restaurant. "Y'all have to leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm", she said. Even so, it's still one of the best scenes in the movie.)

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Thread closed as November has arrived!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink