Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
If your sister couldn't afford to go out to a restaurant she shouldn't have gone. Eight dollars here (NY) is about the going rate for lunch if not more. Unless you have a slice of pizza or a dog. ahaha Hot dog that is.

I can easily see someone spending $8.00 for a salad. However, I'm in NY where everything is costly.

What did the salad consist of?
We paid $15 for a reuben sandwhich with nothing on it but processed meat (not even the usual rueben ingrediients) just a few weeks ago at the seaport in NYC. I too, wonder where she was and why she thought $8 was out of line.
Greatblueherron< if you really object to paying prices for what we can buy or make at home, you probably would never eat out. I do agree, and I often look at it the same way, that is one reason we don't eat out more. WE do have to remember there is more to food than just the cost. The restaurant is paying rent, help, food, utilities, maybe a franchise fee, who knows?

Nita

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I wonder where the OP lives? Not in Miami, Chicago, or Seattle, that is for sure.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
What does one consider a tossed salad.. For vegies and nothing else...8.99 is obcene.

For me a tossed Salad is.. Lettuce, tomato. a cuke...

The one and only reason I love the Golden Coral place...they have funky assed greens.
I love having that little bitterness in my normally OK salad..

I will pay a little extra for that...
I believe she said $8.00 not $8.99 and she hasn't come back to clarify what the so called toss salad was. I doubt we will ever know.

Nita

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
It isn't the restaurants fault a person can't afford what they serve. I routinely don't eat at Victoria and Alberts (disney $$$$ restaurant) as I know I don't want to spend $150/ person. An $8 salad is simply a lower threshold. I'm suspecting they are best to eat at home. Don't forget the tip now the $8 salad is $10.... It isn't the servers fault either. If you can't afford the tips don't eat out.

(in the old days... college) I had a fundamentalist tell me they left me a great tip... it was a flyer on "knowing Jesus" my response was Jesus would not approve of you being cheap and using his name as your excuse. they were obviously in far more need of the flyer than I.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder where the OP lives? Not in Miami, Chicago, or Seattle, that is for sure.
Not even NWA.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My sister walked out of a restaraunt while having lunch with some co workers because she refused to pay 8.00 for a tossed salad . would you pay 8.00 for a tossed salad ? I would'nt . She did explain before she walked out that she simply cannot afford to spend that much on lunch . How many of you would pay that for a tossed salad ?
Maybe if there was gold in it. Or if it was really big, really good or really filling.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
It isn't the restaurants fault a person can't afford what they serve. I routinely don't eat at Victoria and Alberts (disney $$$$ restaurant) as I know I don't want to spend $150/ person. An $8 salad is simply a lower threshold. I'm suspecting they are best to eat at home. Don't forget the tip now the $8 salad is $10.... It isn't the servers fault either. If you can't afford the tips don't eat out.

(in the old days... college) I had a fundamentalist tell me they left me a great tip... it was a flyer on "knowing Jesus" my response was Jesus would not approve of you being cheap and using his name as your excuse. they were obviously in far more need of the flyer than I.
Exactly. People have no business eating out if all they do is complain they can "make it cheaper at home" and/or don't leave tips or an adequate tip. Eating out is more than food, it is entertainment and an experience and you pay for that. Restaurants have a tremendous amount of overhead and the slimmest profit margin of any business.

And yeah, $8.00 is nothing for a salad unless it was just a lettuce wedge. In which case just don't order that....

Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I don't think $8.00 is too much for a salad.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
This maybe off the subject a bit, but yesterday I went out with my son we went to a small deli, I had a turkey sand, real turkey, with cranberry, he had a large overstuffed corned beef, they came with chips, a large pickle, we had two drinks. The bill was $20. I was fine with it. My son was like, "wow, we could have had this at home, for less". True. But I enjoyed going out, not having to buy stuff, fix it, clean up. I just ordered what I wanted, and got it. It was a beautiful day, a pretty deli, I just enjoyed the whole experience of relaxing, and enjoying the day.

Isn't that what we pay for when we eat out?!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This maybe off the subject a bit, but yesterday I went out with my son we went to a small deli, I had a turkey sand, real turkey, with cranberry, he had a large overstuffed corned beef, they came with chips, a large pickle, we had two drinks. The bill was $20. I was fine with it. My son was like, "wow, we could have had this at home, for less". True. But I enjoyed going out, not having to buy stuff, fix it, clean up. I just ordered what I wanted, and got it. It was a beautiful day, a pretty deli, I just enjoyed the whole experience of relaxing, and enjoying the day.

Isn't that what we pay for when we eat out?!
we can always do it for less at home. sometimes we can even make it yummier. but like you said, its the experience that is most important to many of us. thats one of the reasons i prefer going to less expensive restaurants or ordering the chicken dish instead of something more interesting. i just like sitting at the table with my family and talking to each other over a relaxing meal in a restaurant. its the same enjoyment for me if im eating lobster or chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink