Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,795 times

Advertisements

I have been asked to bring macaroni and cheese in to the office for a pot luck lunch. I cook my macaroni and cheese in the oven, in a medium-sized ovenproof casserole dish.

I don't think that I will be able to microwave the macaroni and cheese to reheat it properly, because it's a casserole-style dish, so I can't stir it up throughout the microwaving process.

Instead, I was thinking of cooking the macaroni and cheese maybe 5-10 minutes less in the oven just before work. Then, to keep it warm I thought about taking my huge crockpot, with removable crock, to work with it.

My thought is that I could put the casserole dish into the crockpot "shell" (outer metal part) with the crockpot set on "Warm". That way the casserole would be surrounded by low heat throughout the morning until lunch, which would keep it toasty warm.

Has anyone ever done this? It's an ovenproof casserole dish so I imagine it would hold up in the crockpot the same way the original crock would.

Any other ideas, if this wouldn't work? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I've had it out of a crap pot before, and to each their own.......and I don't know how they did it. The pasta was so over cooked it was mush, tasted like crap.....and they used crap cheese, it was obvious even to me.

Do they have a stove or oven at the office?

Try it before you take it to work, practice. DO NOT overcook the pasta and use good cheese.

Wish I could help more, but all I can do is tell you what NOT to do........and then again I don't know how it was made.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I've had it out of a crap pot before, and to each their own.......and I don't know how they did it. The pasta was so over cooked it was mush, tasted like crap.....and they used crap cheese, it was obvious even to me.

Do they have a stove or oven at the office?

Try it before you take it to work, practice. DO NOT overcook the pasta and use good cheese.

Wish I could help more, but all I can do is tell you what NOT to do........and then again I don't know how it was made.

Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the response! To clarify: I won't be *cooking* the macaroni and cheese in a crock pot. I plan on cooking it in the oven, in its casserole dish.

My idea is to then take the casserole dish, once I am done cooking, and put it in the crock pot with the original crock removed, putting it on warm just to keep it warm until lunch.

You raise a good point about mushiness!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:25 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
ok, gotcha. If it were for me, add more cheese.........even after you've added more cheese.

Good luck, wish I could help more. Have fun, if they don't like it......well f'em. Tough to do something like that for an office party, imoh.

Remember, it's not all about the food.......it's about the fun and people your with.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
Could you run home and get it before the lunch?

What about those insulation things that zip around the baking dish? Would that keep it warm?

I would just nuke it personally

Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
D-I think it would work fine. Do you have one of those "warming" trays instead? I've used those for office parties and home parties.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
ok, gotcha. If it were for me, add more cheese.........even after you've added more cheese.

Good luck, wish I could help more. Have fun, if they don't like it......well f'em. Tough to do something like that for an office party, imoh.

Remember, it's not all about the food.......it's about the fun and people your with.
LOL... you've found out my secret. Just keep adding more cheese!

It is tough for an office party, I agree. And get this - we have two potlucks this week! I do believe they are trying to kill us.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Could you run home and get it before the lunch?

What about those insulation things that zip around the baking dish? Would that keep it warm?

I would just nuke it personally
I have thought about "working from home" in the morning and just bringing it in with myself around 11:30. I could run home to cook it, but it bakes for 45 minutes, so it's not so much "popping it in".

The zip thing is a good idea. I will check at Target for one.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
D-I think it would work fine. Do you have one of those "warming" trays instead? I've used those for office parties and home parties.
I don't have one, no... I was thinking the crock pot would sort of be a "wraparound" warming tray. I will figure something out before the potluck (1st one) and if it works I will post!

Thanks for the tips, sympathy and ideas everyone!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Keeping it hot all day would overcook and spoil it, IMHO.

I would microwave it in about 4 or 5 bursts of 1-2 minutes each time, letting it stand 2 minutes between bursts, so that the heat has time to distribute and spread evenly, without the dish overheating. It doesn't need to be boiling hot, just warmed through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink