Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times

Advertisements

Leaders of a Georgia-based ministry that provided discounted groceries to needy families across the U.S. have been indicted and face a wide range of charges, including using organization funds to buy jewelry, athletic equipment, clothes and to make a down payment on a jet.

Angel Food Ministries Officials Indicted, Face Fraud Charges

It never ends. Greed, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Such a shame! We used their services, found their food to be good quality at low prices.

Ok, look, if another grocery chain sold good food at fair prices, then we found out they used the proceeds to buy luxury items, well, how does that hurt us?

I found Angel Food to be a Godsend when I hurt my back. I couldn't get out to shop much, so, those pre packaged boxes at a low price really came in handy!

Greed is just another word for capitalism, AKA free-market economy

Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,052,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Such a shame! We used their services, found their food to be good quality at low prices.

Ok, look, if another grocery chain sold good food at fair prices, then we found out they used the proceeds to buy luxury items, well, how does that hurt us?

I found Angel Food to be a Godsend when I hurt my back. I couldn't get out to shop much, so, those pre packaged boxes at a low price really came in handy!

Greed is just another word for capitalism, AKA free-market economy

I didn't know anything about Angel Food before I read your last thread which you posted a month or two ago, and then the article today, so anything I'm saying below is based solely on what I read from the media.

The difference between Angel Food and a grocery chain? Angel Food is a non-profit organization and a grocery chain is not. A grocery chain's owners pay tax on their profits and a charity organization such as Angel Food does not. A grocery chain has the right to spend their profits any which way that pleases them and their stockholders, but the profits earned by a tax-free charity should be put back to the organization instead of being used for the founders' personal gain (jewelry, athletic equipment, and clothes, as per the article.)

In addition, Angel Food's founders used the organization's non-taxable funds (not their own money) to put a down payment on a jet on their own names (an outright act of embezzlement) then turned around and leased it to the organization for their own profits (fraud). They did the same thing (used the organization's funds) to buy properties, rented them out or sold them, then pocketed the proceeds.

The money laundering and other fraud charges are explained clearly on the article.

Capitalism is fine if it is practiced within the parameters of the law, but if the charges against Angel Food's founders were proved correct, then their actions are no longer acceptable morally or legally.

I'm sorry for your disappointment, I know how it feels to learn that the trust you put on someone was misplaced. I hope the founders of Angel Food can prove their innocence; otherwise, it would shatter many hearts and give other charity organizations a bad name.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-02-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,026,851 times
We ordered Angel Food for my son and his family (in another state) every month. It is sad whenever something good is turned into a money factory for those in charge!! (steps off her soap box)
But, there is a new group--OneHarvest.com--and has a pick up in the area where my son lives. We ordered him a box last month and he said the quality was good. My son and his wife both work hard but with day care, diapers, etc. it is hard to make ends meet. I feel better knowing I can help with food!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
i wish that all charities would be subject to the same reporting requirements that large corporations are in terms of executive compensation. If that were to ever happen, you would see a MAJOR shift away from certain major charities to more efficient ones.

Before I contribute to a charity, I ask for that disclosure. If I don't get it, I move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink