Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:07 PM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I cringe when I hear people destroying the seasoning on cast iron.

Dish soap is the LAST thing to use.

Sanding it "shiny" should be outlawed...

Sanding it...WTH?

Sand...

SAND!
I don't have a cast iron pan because I would be one of the people to make you cringe. I've always been funny about dishes being spotless before I use them. Cast iron freaks me out because you don't "clean" it. I equate seasoning to just leaving cooked-on "food" in the pan. Don't know why I have this strange issue - My mother cooked with a cast iron skillet my whole childhood. Best fried chicken ever came out of that pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 01:35 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,654,744 times
Just don't get rid of it!

Years ago, I threw out a very good quality pot that I thought I had ruined that I had been given as a wedding present; now I know I could have salvaged it - and it haunts me to this day that I got rid of it.

There's always a fix to a good quality piece of cookware.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:57 PM

11,149 posts, read 9,789,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I don't have a cast iron pan because I would be one of the people to make you cringe. I've always been funny about dishes being spotless before I use them. Cast iron freaks me out because you don't "clean" it. I equate seasoning to just leaving cooked-on "food" in the pan. Don't know why I have this strange issue - My mother cooked with a cast iron skillet my whole childhood. Best fried chicken ever came out of that pan.
Most bacteria (virtually all) dies at 165 degrees F. Literally all bacteria is killed at 250 degrees F. If you are that worried about your skillet, wipe it with a very small amount (1 teaspoon or so) of high smoke point oil (canola, peanut, etc) and put it upside down in a 250 degree oven for a half hour or so. Literally NOTHING will live through that. It will be cleaner than the plates and forks you put through the 140 degree dishwasher, or that skanky toothbrush that you rinse for 5 seconds in cold water in the bathroom sink, that sits in the bathroom all day at room temperature, before you stick it in your mouth every day.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,357,340 times
It will NOT hurt your cast iron pan to wash it with dishwashing liquid (by hand, for god's sake don't put it in the dishwasher!) Just use a plastic scrubby, some Palmolive, rinse and dry immediately. No harm to the seasoning. Clean!

I don't know where you people hear all this voodoo stuff like scrubbing the thing with salt, or sand, or the eyelashes of duckbilled platypi.

As to "sanding it", the reason one would do this is if it's a modern one with the common poor interior finish (old ones were machined) - in which case you'd season it AFTER and never fool with it again - or if it's so rusty that you don't have any original finish left - in which case you'd season it AFTER and never fool with it again.

I own three cast iron pans - an old (1940s?) standard size skillet, a newer (1984) standard size skillet, and a new (2008ish) large skillet. How many times have I seasoned these pans?

The old one - once, because it was rusty.
The new smaller - once, when I bought it.
The new larger - once, when I bought it.

That is all one should EVER need to do, unless some idiot in the household runs it in the dishwasher.

Sheesh. Quit overcomplicating it, y'all. Go ask your grandmother what to do.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:25 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,660,788 times
Quote:

Sanding it...WTH?

Sand...

SAND!

Look at any pre-1960 cast iron skillet and think it was at least optional on any upto ten or fifteen years ago. They milled it, sanded it or whatever to make interior smooth as a baby's bottom. If you like rough unfinished castings like they came out of the sand, then more power to you. I found smooth as a baby's bottom interior on skillet is a LOT more non stick once seasoned than the rough surface on most new ones in 2020. Matter fact first time I used skillet after sanding it smooth and shiny, WITH NO SEASONING it, just bit oil. It was slick as most seasoned skillets. Its the cheap way to get an antique skillet.

Again you like a rough casting, more power to you, its you that has to live with it. I prefer smooth like my ancestors had access to a hundred years ago.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Look at any pre-1960 cast iron skillet and think it was at least optional on any upto ten or fifteen years ago. They milled it, sanded it or whatever to make interior smooth as a baby's bottom. If you like rough unfinished castings like they came out of the sand, then more power to you. I found smooth as a baby's bottom interior on skillet is a LOT more non stick once seasoned than the rough surface on most new ones in 2020. Matter fact first time I used skillet after sanding it smooth and shiny, WITH NO SEASONING it, just bit oil. It was slick as most seasoned skillets. Its the cheap way to get an antique skillet.

Again you like a rough casting, more power to you, its you that has to live with it. I prefer smooth like my ancestors had access to a hundred years ago.
A DA sander will make short work of that crummy rough as-cast surface if you don't have access to a Bridgeport. Work from 100 grit up to 400 or 800. Re-season; all good to go for decades at least.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,982,170 times
Quote:

Sanding it...WTH?

Sand...

SAND!
Sanding is only done if there is no other option. How would save a cast iron pan that had been left in the rain and rusted? Of course you sand it, followed by initial seasoning, etc. Same thing with a cast iron flat top like a Blackstone grill. (Just don't use flaxseed oil - it can flake off)

Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:

Oh please.

As for sanding, hell yeah you can sand it. My BF bought a new Lodge pan (the ones that have that horrid pebbly surface - UGH) for the sole purpose of trying to see if he could get it smooth, like how it really SHOULD be (my old Wagner has almost a mirror finish it is so smooth). And he was successful. I use the pan all the time now. It's heavier than I like (the main issue with the Lodges) but it is much better than it was.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:27 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Exactly.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:32 PM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
Cast iron is wonderful to use when they serve a purpose. Rust can be a very frustrating thing to newbies. Just keep at seasoning them and they will stop rusting in time.

I cook roasts in my oven in my two cast iron pans (chicken, beef and pork) Once I take the roasts out, it's easy to do gravy in them afterwards. (on my glass stovetop-being very careful not to move the pan around and scratch glass surface)

I also use them on my stovetop at a high heat to do steak and quick-cook shrimp and scallops.

To clean them, I use a scrub brush with the pan under hot running water. I only have to season them once in a while. I've had them for over thirty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink