Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

I have to go with Starbucks Via as well. However, I normally don't buy them because of the price. Folgers has similar individual packets I buy at a much lower cost. I bought a jar of the Nescafe for a recipe and have been working on using it up (I'm mostly a tea drinker). It's kind of meh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Years ago, I had to add espresso coffee to a recipe, and picked up Café Bustelo. It smelled great, so I tasted a little. It was very good, and I ended up using up the small bottle, even though I haven't had it since.

I'm not familiar with instant coffee but you might want to try the espresso. I still see CB in the coffee aisle, so I'm assuming it's still as good as it was when I tried it.
I second this. I buy the regular one for daily use but went camping last year and tried the instant. It is very good and the best instant I've tried and it is also an espresso.

https://www.amazon.com/Caf%C3%A9-Bus.../dp/B001E95KUQ

I've seen it at Target and Walgreens in my area.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I'm very fond of coffee, (got to be the guy in charge of the percolator where I worked, but I now live in a single-oriented, "do your own thing" arrangement; the quality of instant took a big step forward with the freeze-dried / crystal process. and of those, I usually get Folger's or Taster's Choice. I also like the ground-in-a-pouch "coffee singles" but these can get expensive.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I wonder if any kind of instant coffee comes close in flavor of home brewed. If so what kind? I had a jar of instant coffee that was about 3 years old. It wasn't too bad but then adding things like sweeteners etc. Made it passable to drink. Any suggestions as to best instant coffee?

My significant other was born in Mexico and instant coffee is by far the most popular choice there. She can't break the instant habit and likes Folgers or Nescafe if the store is out of Folgers. They have single serve packets at dollar stores or a big jar. I will admit a couple times I ran out of my coffee and used hers.

I have a pour over coffee machine, a grinder and I am pretty picky about the beans I use. Like I said I have used her coffee and I use a good amount of cream and a sweetener so it turns ok. You can tell
the difference but its better than greasy spoon diner coffee.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 02-07-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 513 times
The Starbucks instant, called Via, is the best I've had here in the States. The only other instant I've been able to tolerate these days are the instants that some Euro and UK hotels stock. No idea what that stuff is.

That said, I sued to tolerate instants well, especially with creamer. I suspect my weed use in those pre Marine Corps days had something to do with it.

I'll have to try some of the freeze dried instant that 2nd trick op mentions above.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Isn’t the temp of the water used with instant coffee a factor in hiw it tastes?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Nescafe Clasico

Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
I actually like instant coffee, though I'm not brand loyal. Usually get Maxwell House or Folgers, depending on the price. Yeah, I know it's not fancy and it's not gourmet level coffee (which I like very much), but it's quick and good enough for me much of the time. In fact, in the morning when I just want to get out quick, I usually make it "iced" -- IOW tap water with the instant stirred in.

Heresy I suppose, but I'm fine with it.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Best by far in my experience is Cafe Buendia!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cafe-Buen...52-Oz/10450735

Been drinking it for many years, and when you get a really top notch batch, it tastes great... Not bitter, bold enough, very smooth with a nice aroma. Most instants to me have a very chemical/weird taste, no body, bitter but not strong, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
folgers instant in bags is very strong and bitter

https://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Class...9580017&sr=8-1

i like maxwell house or sanka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink