Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

228 posts, read 718,744 times

Advertisements

Great repiles so far....for some odd reason, I now want a burger.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
To me, In-N-Out is like Coors' back in the 1960s. Since it has limited distribution, it has a certain mystique. When you get past all of the hype, it really is not all that great.

Personally, I will take a Big Boy any day - but Frisch's Big Boys has some burgers on rye bun that are simply outstanding.

Hardee's main claim to fame is the size of the burger - which has limited appeal beyond its target market.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In and Out has a long and old reputation that goes back many many yrs.

Initially they were a walk up window to order in a very small bldg. They also had a drive up window. A person would be doing the patties following a rigged system that always gave out a same tasting burger. All the employees were young men while today there are many girls working the grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

The girl part is when I stopped going there. A girl was looking bored at the grill and not watching it too well and my patty was burned and along with HAIR being in my fries I stopped going there. Nothing against the girl part but on the overall think that quality personel control needs to be reviewed.

They have expanded into a sitdown area for the customers.

I go way back decades when they opened the first unit.

Bobs Big Boy also started back in the 1950's and the Big Boy was a success. We would go there after the College Fri night football game and the cars were lined up on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena waiting in line...good ole days and memories...at the time I was the equipment Mgr for the football team.
I'm sorry about your problem, Steve....I did some searchng to help you out and I was surprised that this is all I could find....I don't know if it's in your area, but maybe they will expand some day?

http://gaytravel.about.com/od/gaydestinationgalleries/ig/Photos-of-Gay-Dallas/Hunky-s-Oak-Lawn.htm

I'll bet none of them dam lazy women will wreck your burger there.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I've lived in In-Out country for most of my life, and I've lived ~4 miles from one since 2004... but I've been there twice, both times while tagging along with someone else. In that same time span, I've had countless Western bacon cheeseburgers from Carl's.

IMHO, In/Out ain't bad, but the WBC from Carl's is better. Much better.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
Hi, I'm from South Florida and I've always wanted to know what a IN-N-OUT, Hardee's/Carl's Jr. and Bob's Big Boy menus taste like?

Are they all good? One better then the other? How are the burgers and fries? Any other item on the menu I should try once I get to visit these burger joints?

We don't have these down in South Florida, It's mostly I West coast thing and some in North FL, so I'm super curious on what they taste like, since they are always on some list of best burgers in the U.S.

Thanks guys!
Food is subjective at best, but here is my take:

In&Out is the best fast food, cheap hamburger there is anywhere. Remember, I used the word cheap..They only do hamburgers, deinks and fires and all the ingredients are fresh daily, nother is frozen.

I usued to love Carl Jrs/Hardees, but I haven't had one in ages. They have a bigger menu of course (more like Micky Ds) i don't think you would put them in the category of best burgers in the USA, but they are or were good.

Bob's has been around for generations, as a kid I was raised almost on Bob's. The original Bobs was located in the town next to where I grew up. They are more of an actually coffee shop, so there isn't a good comparison. Bob's is nationwide, but I don't think there are that many left, Hardees/Carl Jrs are the same. Hardees used to be very popular on the east coast and Carl Jrs was Ca. In&Out has spread to Texas, so is still SW or west, originating in So CA.

All are good, but very different. None are like 5 Guys and none are as pricey either.

BTW, Steve, Bobs started way before the 50s...It started in Glendale in the last 30s and as for the hair situation at In&Out, that must have been a one time thing. The stores are usually immagulate!!!!
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 01-30-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
big boy is better.
in and out has sort of a cardboard taste
hardy's is very very very heavy on fat.
In&Out, cardboard taste? Wow I never heard anyone refer to In&Out as cardboard...

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
I've heard that they make the burgers after you order them fresh, not premade. Is this true, or just marketing ?
yes, everything is fresh and you can watch them make your burger.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In&Out, cardboard taste? Wow I never heard anyone refer to In&Out as cardboard...
Ditto.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I'm not a huge fan of In and Out, the first time I went, my sister took me, we were on vacation, she said it was the best hamburger ever. hmmm? Not so much, it tastes like a bad version of a Big Mac. Big Boy is good, have not had it a long time, I was waitress at Big Boy, and ate there version of the Big Mac, on a regular basis, I like Big Boys the best. Hardee's is different, they are good but do not really have a hamburger that competes with the others. It's funny, we were having this same discussion earlier today, who had the best Big Mac style burger, Big Boy or, In and Out, I like Big Boy.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
+Regarding that I said Bobs Big Boy started in the 1950's was a reference point to a time period of expansion.

The first one that I recall (moved to So Cal in 1948) was the one on the south side of colorado Blvd in Glendale. Ate there one time. Drove by there 2-3 times a week on the way to work using the now Pasadena Fwy during it's early construction.

Back then the unit in Pasadena had Car Hops with trays on the car door.

Them were the days...thats for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink