Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but you keep saying they could cut down on portion sizes and export food to the 3rd World countries, I am saying "who would pay for the exporting" ? Health issues related to large portions, that is a different story altogether, but it is still up to us to decide to eat everything served or take some home.
Nita
Would you set aside a small part of your salary to feed starving children in Africa?

There's your answer.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,503,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you set aside a small part of your salary to feed starving children in Africa?

There's your answer.
I have an idea. Buy less at the grocery, pick a name out of a phone book in Nairobi and send them the three dollars. Repeat each week.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:

There's your answer.
that has nothing to do with how large the servings are in restaurants and to be honest, I would rather help the people in America. I have been hearing about the people in the 3rd World countries since I was in college (way befor you were born I am guessing) We do help them. Have you checked how much we send to these countries every year?

Nita

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Well I'm stiff baffled at why restaurants serve such big portions.
its very simple. when i go to a restaurant, i want to be given as much food as possible. im very happy when i can have a meal, then have another meal of leftovers.

restaurants should increase their portion sizes.

oh and if people in other countries want food, they should learn how to farm and produce their own food. giving away food just creates dependence on others.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that has nothing to do with how large the servings are in restaurants and to be honest, I would rather help the people in America. I have been hearing about the people in the 3rd World countries since I was in college (way befor you were born I am guessing) We do help them. Have you checked how much we send to these countries every year?

Nita
Fair enough. Less waste will ESPECIALLY help people in America who don't have enough to eat. There should be more free food, honestly, not as a go to for people who don't want to work but those who are really struggling.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its very simple. when i go to a restaurant, i want to be given as much food as possible. im very happy when i can have a meal, then have another meal of leftovers.

oh and if people in other countries want food, they should learn how to farm and produce their own food. giving away food just creates dependence on others.
Again I understand wanting to get the best value but people - a surprising number (I wouldn't raise this if it was something I saw now and then) do not finish most of their food and it just gets thrown away.

Generally portion sizes aren't too huge to finish - even when I went to America and was warned about that - but then again it's perhaps I seldom have snacks between meals, so generally heat when I'm very hungry.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Again I understand wanting to get the best value but people - a surprising number (I wouldn't raise this if it was something I saw now and then) do not finish most of their food and it just gets thrown away. Sometimes when eating out with friends and they don't finish I will offer to finish it off for them.

Generally portion sizes aren't too huge to finish - even when I went to America and was warned about that - but then again it's perhaps I seldom have snacks between meals, so generally heat when I'm very hungry.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,368,649 times
I think its just a culmination of numerous factors. The American industrial machine has become efficient and cost effective to produce food/ingredients for cheap. Restaurants capitalize by exploiting quantity as a driving force in value, each trying to outdo each other by providing bigger portions, free bread, salad, soda refills, unlimited fries, etc. The customer at the end of the day is the fat happy beneficiary.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
I think its just a culmination of numerous factors. The American industrial machine has become efficient and cost effective to produce food/ingredients for cheap. Restaurants capitalize by exploiting quantity as a driving force in value, each trying to outdo each other by providing bigger portions, free bread, salad, soda refills, unlimited fries, etc. The customer at the end of the day is the fat happy beneficiary.
We're just big, bloated parasites on the world.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,834,620 times
It's common in North America for people who are married or thinking of getting married..say "we will not have children untill we can afford them" - which is real stupid - seeing that the average person tosses enough food in the trash to feed 3 children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink