Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
CuisineNet Digest: A Chinese Banquet - fan, or grain, which is normally so important that every last grain must be consumed, is relegated to the very end of the meal and guests need only to pick at the fan, indicating their supreme

satisfaction.Fried Rice - Recipes for Chinese Fried Rice - At Chinese banquets, fried rice is frequently served at the conclusion of the main meal, before the dessert course.

I also have a very good friend who owns a Michelin starred chinese szechuan restaurant in Hong Kong and when I was with him at 'formal' dinners he hosted this is how he served food....
Interesting...I think I would demand rice to eat with the other stuff. To me, it just doesn't feel complete unless it's eaten with rice.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't throw away food. I eat it later, either as-is, or using it as an ingredient in something else.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting...I think I would demand rice to eat with the other stuff. To me, it just doesn't feel complete unless it's eaten with rice.
Thats fine - its not considered rude (as long as you request and not demand ) as its become more normal in everyday eating and so more acceptable. It depends on the situation you are in. If you are trying to build a relationship with big businesses and you are having dinner with Presidents, CEO's and Chairmen you would't want to appear disrespectful.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thats fine - its not considered rude (as long as you request and not demand ) as its become more normal in everyday eating and so more acceptable. It depends on the situation you are in. If you are trying to build a relationship with big businesses and you are having dinner with Presidents, CEO's and Chairmen you would't want to appear disrespectful.
Indeed, I suppose you wouldn't be thinking too much about the food in such a situation.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Indeed, I suppose your mind wouldn't entirely be on the food, or how it tastes, but rather on how you come across.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
We go to buffets sometimes as a family group and it drives me up a wall when I see family members waste food. If I try something and don't like it, okay. I may eat it anyway just to not waste it unless its bad or I really don't like it. But they sometimes wait until dessert and then load up a plate and not have room to do more than taste what they chose.
The all time "knuckle draggers who deserve to starve" award goes to the cretins who leave perishable food sit on shelves in grocery stores because they decided they don't want it. I'd have them arrested for shoplifting if I could. Are they too stupid, too lazy or just too ignorant to walk the item back to the refrigerated case? Sometimes I think its just a deliberate act to cost the store money.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,476 times
Once in a while I'll notice what other people leave on their plate at a restaurant. A shame to not take it home, rather than let it get thrown away.

I purposely don't finish whats on my plate. 1- because I don't like being full. 2. It tastes so much better the next day. Don't care how small it is, it comes home with me. Hate waste; you'd think I grew up in the depression era.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 AM

6 posts, read 6,409 times
This is really a serious matter. we find some part of the world have no food to eat and in some part people life style is that they just do not know the value for food. instead of wasting it can save it. at least for them if not for others.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
Once in a while I'll notice what other people leave on their plate at a restaurant. A shame to not take it home, rather than let it get thrown away.

I purposely don't finish whats on my plate. 1- because I don't like being full. 2. It tastes so much better the next day. Don't care how small it is, it comes home with me. Hate waste; you'd think I grew up in the depression era.

For me, some things travel and somethings don't. I eat out as a convenience not as a treat. I almost never have anything in a restaurant that I can't and do do better at home. I am just not going to have the fridge filled up with mediocre leftovers.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post

you say no matter how small, this makes me think of how many times we have taken food home, thinking it would make a great second meal, just to be surprised when we decide to eat at the next day, how littlel is really left. yes, we too normally bring stuff home and mix it with something else. or whatever. I just am amazed though how much we think we haven't eaten til we decide to make that next meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink