Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

I have purchased brand-name cheese, and from freezer sect., brand-name single-serve pies/pizzas. Labeling reading a must in these stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Shopping at a dollar store is like shopping anywhere else: Read the labels meticulously, shop carefully, and get the most for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
One item I was addicted to was the bag of peanut M&M's Dollar general used to sell. A large sized bag for a $1.00?? Now it's the Milky Ways but I'm getting away from them.. Oh yes, one more item is the bag of peanuts at Dollar Tree.. I take those to baseball games..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
I'm not impressed with the food at Dollar Tree, but buy a lot of groceries at the .99 CENT STORE, the one closest to me carries bread, dairy and produce too. They dont have everything all the time, but I often find good berries, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms and bagles for .99, much cheaper than the grocery stores. You do have to check dates and visually inspect very carefully though. My fav thing is the milk, when they have it its always 2.99/gal (cheaper than most places), and I can get in and out in 2 min

Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
I never buy any food at a dollar store. However, I do buy certain things there such as Saran wrap, paper plates, gift wrap, and greeting cards. Greeting cards are a great value there.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I'm not impressed with the food at Dollar Tree, but buy a lot of groceries at the .99 CENT STORE, the one closest to me carries bread, dairy and produce too. They dont have everything all the time, but I often find good berries, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms and bagles for .99, much cheaper than the grocery stores. You do have to check dates and visually inspect very carefully though. My fav thing is the milk, when they have it its always 2.99/gal (cheaper than most places), and I can get in and out in 2 min
They sell fruit at the dollar store??? On LI you may get milk, eggs and some frozen foods, bread, chips, candy and soda but that's about it.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
The local Dollar Tree (please note that I don't say my local Dollar Tree) doesn't carry frozen food. Somehow I don't think I'm missing anything.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
They sell fruit at the dollar store??? On LI you may get milk, eggs and some frozen foods, bread, chips, candy and soda but that's about it.
Yea, they have a couple little islands with produce, mostly vegetables. They usually also have citrus fruits, berries and sometimes melon. Only certain 99 CENT STORES have it, and none of the other dollar stores in my area do.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
My husband buys frozen fruit at our dollar store once in a great while if he's passing by. Not sure if it's Dollar store, 99 cents store or whatever. But, not frequently, probably heavily sprayed pesticides on them from who knows where. But, he's gotten vegies there, too, those small grape tomatoes and mini carrots I think, too.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The local Dollar Tree (please note that I don't say my local Dollar Tree) doesn't carry frozen food. Somehow I don't think I'm missing anything.
LOL, I agree.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilladoesitbetter View Post
That's not a very comforting thought. As a kid, the dollar tree was like Disneyland for me because of all the cheap junk food. Now that my supply of cash doesn't limit me as much, I have to say it's odd that I never feel the need to go overboard on the junk food. Those Piroulines they sell are pretty awesome though...

As for the other food items, I won't knock them all. The strawberry jelly they sell is quite tasty as well as a common addition to my homemade sauces and though I haven't had the chance to buy it yet, I'd really like to try the wheat/white bread that they're now stocking. I'll also give them points for their selection of spices; It isn't massive but I'll always appreciate buying what I need from them versus the arm and a leg Mccormick spices run me.
It's not ALL bad. ANd they do have more than just frozen DINNERS in the freezers there, they also have frozen veggies which are good! (and milk, and cheese, etc) Just read the lables and know where it is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink