Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Denver to San Diego & several of my cast iron pots/pans will remain in a storage unit in Denver for 4-6 mos. I did some online searching & one person recommended placing newspaper in the inside of the pots before storing them... not sure why? I have the original, thick, cardboard boxes, so am not so worried about breakage. Any ideas on why newspaper?

More importantly, how do I handle the seasoning... will what's on the pots turn rancid? I sometimes season with fat cut off any meat I've purchased... melting it & using it for pot coverage or sausage/bacon grease or vegetable shortening. I don't recall which pans have which... I mix it up.

Should I scrub them out with boiling water & a brush to remove any coating, then re-season them again in 4-6 mos? I read in one post that seasoning changes the chemicals in the oils used, so they won't turn rancid... however, I find that hard to believe with animal fat.

Also, should I leave the lids on before placing the pots back in the original boxes or should air be allowed to circulate fully? Anything else I should do before storage?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Oil them up and store them. They'll be fine as long as they are lubed up.

Have a nice trip.

I dug pots out of my Grandmothers garage that had been there 40 years.

Quick scrub, coating of lard, in the oven for couple of hours at 200 and good to go.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Be sure to use an unguent that is solid at room temp, as in Crisco or lard. If you use liquid oil you'll come back to a mixture of glue and maple syrup.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Oil them up and store them. They'll be fine as long as they are lubed up.

Have a nice trip.

I dug pots out of my Grandmothers garage that had been there 40 years.

Quick scrub, coating of lard, in the oven for couple of hours at 200 and good to go.
That makes sense to protect them with oil. Once retrieved, would you wash all the coating from them first, then re-season?

Cheers for the good wishes. It's nice, we're moving back to the ocean, it will just take a few belongings a few months to catch up with us. Thanks BDD...

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 02-28-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Be sure to use an unguent that is solid at room temp, as in Crisco or lard. If you use liquid oil you'll come back to a mixture of glue and maple syrup.
Thank you Font. Learned that the hard way when I initially coated new pans with olive oil. You'll find my post on C-D from 1-1/2 yrs ago... something like 'Help, my cast iron is like glue & maple syrup'. What a bleedin' mess, not to mention the eye burning from fumes as they were baking in the oven.

The only saving grace was to finally put them into the dishwasher to take all the gunk off (no amount of intense scrubbing took it off), then re-season with lard. I don't eat pork, but I think lard seasons far better than veg shortening. I'll never get used to that awful smell, but it does work well.

Cheers for your reply...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
As Tuckers stated solid at room temp fats only. No need to try and scrub off the coating unless its covered with dust or debris. Rinse with warm water, wipe with a paper towel, toss on stove and get to cooking.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Personally, I use good old Farmer John lard.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
We're moving from Denver to San Diego & several of my cast iron pots/pans will remain in a storage unit in Denver for 4-6 mos. I did some online searching & one person recommended placing newspaper in the inside of the pots before storing them... not sure why? I have the original, thick, cardboard boxes, so am not so worried about breakage. Any ideas on why newspaper?

More importantly, how do I handle the seasoning... will what's on the pots turn rancid? I sometimes season with fat cut off any meat I've purchased... melting it & using it for pot coverage or sausage/bacon grease or vegetable shortening. I don't recall which pans have which... I mix it up.

Should I scrub them out with boiling water & a brush to remove any coating, then re-season them again in 4-6 mos? I read in one post that seasoning changes the chemicals in the oils used, so they won't turn rancid... however, I find that hard to believe with animal fat.

Also, should I leave the lids on before placing the pots back in the original boxes or should air be allowed to circulate fully? Anything else I should do before storage?

Thank you so much!
Don't store them scrubbed or you'll have rusted cast iron. I would get them nice and hot then cover every cooking or aesthetic surface with shortening. If you're going to store them stacked, a paper towel with a splash of olive oil between them should be all you need. If you have any nastiness after unpacking, scrub and reseason then.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Thank you so much!
A good thick coat of oil all over the entire pan, put into an air tight container if possible with something between the pans if you stack them. I use Olive Oil but that is my preference.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No need to try and scrub off the coating unless its covered with dust or debris. Rinse with warm water, wipe with a paper towel, toss on stove and get to cooking.
Beautiful! Cheers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink