Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,307,281 times

Advertisements

For instance they will give a dietary fiber of 2g(or whatever) and total fat of 6g etc. How do they test each and every product in a grocery store. Yes, I know that the store doesn't do the testing. I assume the company that makes the product does. And how do you know that they are telling the truth? Does anyone check out their products to make sure its true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 AM

653 posts, read 947,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
For instance they will give a dietary fiber of 2g(or whatever) and total fat of 6g etc. How do they test each and every product in a grocery store. Yes, I know that the store doesn't do the testing. I assume the company that makes the product does. And how do you know that they are telling the truth? Does anyone check out their products to make sure its true?
The manufacturer is required to supply nutrition information for their products. They are only required to be accurate within a 22% range, if I remember the number correctly (I recall it being very high for what I would consider acceptable, but I'm sure Google can help you with the exact percentage). The FDA has come under fire many times for not being more stringent in checking the accuracy of labels. Google is peppered with articles that are filled with the details, if that interests you.

You may find this FDA link helpful:
Labeling & Nutrition

And this FDA link shows their labeling guidelines (notice the answer regarding rounding numbers up or down):
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComp.../ucm064894.htm

And this FDA link shows things such as the FDA's requirements for labeling something "fresh", etc. (very telling):
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/...eets/index.asp

As for other food labeling such as multi-grain, gluten-free, organic, decaf, fat free, natural, vegan, etc., those could each be their own topic. But just as an example, "gluten-free" products can actually contain gluten, it just has to be below a certain percentage (tell that to the person who has a gluten intolerance - the last I checked, being "free" of something meant being without - but I digress).

And it was recently reported that meat manufacturers will soon be encouraged to supply more information on their packaging regarding the source of their product. That doesn't affect me, but it is an interesting development in the food labeling industry.

My personal rule of thumb: anything on a label, even the nutrition breakdown and list of ingredients, is marketing. The only way to know what's going in your body is to make it yourself. A pear, is a pear, is a pear. You know what's in that.

Last edited by dclamb3; 03-01-2012 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink