Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always thought it was harmful to eat any pig product that wasn't properly cooked.
We had a thread about this awhile back, apparently the rules have changed since many of us were kids being admonished that eating pork that wasn't well done could lead to trichinosis parasitic infection.

From CDC:
"During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats."

As much pork is consumed in the United States, with that few cases annually (and most of those being from wild game meats) you'll probably win the lottery before you catch trich from pork you buy at the supermarket. Then again that data is for the United States and this thread is for exotic food consumed on travels, I sure wouldn't take the risk in a developing country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
These items come to mind:

Mexico: Tripas (braised small intestine of pig... delicious); Chapulines (salty fried grasshoppers... not bad); sesos (beef brains... did NOT like, probably textural); Tripe stew (just nasty)

Japan: Fugu (delicious but costly, would eat again) There's a lot I didn't try here because the mere thought induced vomiting

Guam: Chicken feet (SOOOOO good); Something like balut ( nightmare-inducing horribleness)

Southern US: Chitterlins (not bad, as long as I'm not around while they're cooking); Gizzards and rice with onion gravy (some of the best comfort food I've had)

Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
See I knew you were a brave soul.

I have never had silkworms ("normal" earthworms were chewy and gritty so not something I would be keen to try again) but grubs I have had a few times and I genuinely thought they were quite tasty.
BTW, I noticed the again.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
These items come to mind:

Mexico: Tripas (braised small intestine of pig... delicious); Chapulines (salty fried grasshoppers... not bad); sesos (beef brains... did NOT like, probably textural); Tripe stew (just nasty)

Japan: Fugu (delicious but costly, would eat again) There's a lot I didn't try here because the mere thought induced vomiting

Guam: Chicken feet (SOOOOO good); Something like balut ( nightmare-inducing horribleness)

Southern US: Chitterlins (not bad, as long as I'm not around while they're cooking); Gizzards and rice with onion gravy (some of the best comfort food I've had)
Uh ... I'll pass on the Fugu ... What is it about this fish that people want to eat it despite the risk of death????

I've had chitterlings and chicken gizzards ... Those are yummy

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM

174 posts, read 640,191 times
Philippines:
Pig's guts and liver cooked in it's blood called Dinuguan. Surprisingly delicious.

Japan:
Raw horse meat (sashimi). The texture was rather weird.

South Korea:
Live octopus called Sannakji. This one really scared me, coz they were moving. I felt like my mouth was being violated.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Philippines:
Pig's guts and liver cooked in it's blood called Dinuguan. Surprisingly delicious.

Japan:
Raw horse meat (sashimi). The texture was rather weird.

South Korea:
Live octopus called Sannakji. This one really scared me, coz they were moving. I felt like my mouth was being violated.
I've seen videos of live squid and octopus on YouTube. Not for me, under any circumstances.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM

174 posts, read 640,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've seen videos of live squid and octopus on YouTube. Not for me, under any circumstances.
The really small ones, I ate it whole. As I'm used to many seafoods. But the larger ones, terrified me. It won't even fit in my mouth from my assessment.

In Japan, there's the ugliest fish I have ever seen. They call it Okoze, stone fish in English. It's their delicacy. I haven't tasted it tho. It looks scary. And not safe.

In the Philippines, they have Buriring, similar to fugu or puffer fish. But cooked differently. They eat it as whole, I'm not sure how they safely prepare it exactly.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Very poisonous, in fact.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
Default Healthy Weight Loss Tips.

Really, if this is the thought on our mind, we are miles ahead of the majority of people interested in weight loss today. In fact, the real thought that the majority of weight loss seeker are having is, "How can I have a fast weight loss?" There is no mention of a healthy weight loss at all! The problem is that everyone wants the results, but doesn't care about what they have to do to get there. More weighty, they don't care about the long term negative affects that will follow their quick weight loss. In order to get your healthy weight loss and for it to also be a quick weight loss, we must make some fitness tuning changes to our body. We should visit here to get effective information - [url=http://54eedxcjkk5z9n49sai1t90vfy.hop.clickbank.net/]How to Lose Stubborn Belly Fat, Get Flat Sexy Six Pack Abs the Right Way[/url]

Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Stir-fried baby eels, in a delicious sauce. It's a very tasty dish, as long as you don't look at the eels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink