Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

There are many many foods i disliked as a child I eat and even enjoy now, so I'll just some of my more recent things:

1. Raw fish/Sashimi: I think I first tried it about 5 years ago, and like most non-Japanese people initially found the idea gross. Once I tried it, however, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Well-prepared raw salmon can even be quite delicious.

2. More types of seafood: I've tried oyster, mussel, clam, crab, lobster...Still not a fan of shell-fish but I'll at least try crustaceans now. For some reason wouldn't eat it as a kid, even though it tastes just like fish.

3. Cauliflower: Okay it's still something I dislike, but at least now I'll eat it with cheese or if it's well cooked.

4. Egg yolks: As a kid i found the taste and texture of hard-boiled or runny egg yolks unbearable, but now I can take them. Still prefer them scrambled or fried sunny side down but I can almost enjoy the taste of egg yolk by itself now. The texture of hard-boiled egg yolk though still gets to me.

5. Slimey noodles: Probably not familiar to most here, but the Malaysian dish 'hor fun' consists of fat noodles in a slimey sauce which seemed revolting as a child. It actually tastes quite good though! Weirdly enough as a kid I wouldn't generally eat noodles at all.

6. Pork: I'm not Muslim or Jewish but, for some reason, as a kid I never lived pork. It just tasted funny to me. I did have pork more than 10 years ago, but only since then have I actually begun to enjoy pork or ham. Salami or pepperoni is okay, and i do love chorizo and pork sausages.

7. Duck: Same with pork. Still find it gamey and much prefer chicken, but I'll at least try Peking Duck or French roast duck.

8. Weird meats: Tried crocodile, emu, alligator, lizard, frogs...it really is true that most meats tend to taste like either chicken, beef or pork, because that's what we're familiar with and well, animal flesh isn't really all that different.

9. Tea: Used to not be a fan of tea, but I got into it by drinking 'bubble tea' and now i can even appreciated hot green or black tea with no sugar. Still like it sweet and cold the best though.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
There isn't much that I eat now that I wouldn't have eaten 10 years ago. The one exception that I can think of is kangaroo - I had that for the first time 5 or so years ago.

I do eat a lot more low carb versions of favorite dishes which isn't something that I used to do 10 years ago. Lettuce wraps, eggplant bruchetta, cauliflower "mac and cheese" or mashed "potatoes" are new things for me. I would have eaten them 10 years ago but I just never had occasion to.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I can't think of much either. Cabbage-y things, perhaps, and greens.

Now, 30 years ago is another story.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Sushi has gone from something I made fun of and was alternately disgusted by/affraid of to something that is one of my absolute favorite things in the world.

I have always loved seafood and fish of all kinds greatly, however I used to really dislike salmon. Now, it is one of my favorite fish, something I truly enjoy a great deal.

I always used to hate egg yolks. Whether boiled (I would remove them) or fried (had to be hard) I couldn't stand the taste of a yolk. Now I really like it, a nice creamy yolk is quite the treat, whether on a tartare, part of a carbonarra, sitting nicely atop a burger, or in the greatest breakfast of them all, eggs benedict.

Sauerkraut used to disgust me, but in learning a real appreciation for German dinning I have truly come to enjoy this item a great deal.

The above items are ones that I disliked that I now like. Things that I just never tried but now love are many more:

almost anything Thai I was pretty much unexposed to 10 years ago but love greatly now.

Aligator is another one that I had no opinion on, but no experience with and now I really enjoy it.

Middle Eastern food was a mystery to me, and is now very high on my list of favorite cuisines.

Sweet and Sour Soup is something I had never tried, but now is my favorite chinese style soup by far. Miso soup is another yummy treat.

Many forms of interior Mexican cooking that seemed gross but I had never tried, including lengua (a personal favorite), tripe, menudo and other similar dishes.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM

34 posts, read 36,666 times
Onions. never liked them as a child. I still dislike most types of mushrooms.
Kangaroo. was actually decent in a stew.
Muscles.

There are more foods I don't eat now that I ate 10 years ago

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto2988 View Post

There are more foods I don't eat now that I ate 10 years ago
That's probably true for me, too. In my case it's more about avoiding certain foods (too rich, too sugary, etc.) than it is about disliking them.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I'd say the only things in the past 10 years I didn't eat before were things that I'd never heard of in the 90s. Try everything, there's some weird stuff out there that's delicious. And of course, some that isn't. But you don't know till you tried it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Roast beast. Also fish like flounder and talapia.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Green eggs and ham.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
veggies..like squash, turnip, peas,,,,use to make me dry-heave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink