Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Well apart from a few frat boys no, I don't think most people would consider being able to eat very hot food a 'masculine' thing. I've seen many girls in these chilli eating contests do better than the boys, bravery is not something exclusive to men.

In cultures which eat a lot of hot food, such as in Mexico or India, the young are exposed to hot at an early age so they get used to it. That's why they can eat super-hot food without a problem. I really think it is a matter of (a) attitude (thinking something is hot makes it hotter) and (b) just building up a tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well apart from a few frat boys no, I don't think most people would consider being able to eat very hot food a 'masculine' thing.
You're right. Maybe I am getting that from the things that frat boys think or are depicted as thinking/doing... lol; hardly representative of most people.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In cultures which eat a lot of hot food, such as in Mexico or India, the young are exposed to hot at an early age so they get used to it. That's why they can eat super-hot food without a problem. I really think it is a matter of (a) attitude (thinking something is hot makes it hotter) and (b) just building up a tolerance.
First, I have had very little Mexican food that has been very hot (spicy). Of course, I do NOT consider pickled jalapenos to be particularly hot.

And yes, there is some machismo involved with consuming spicy foods. Being a gringo, I could eat as many jalapenos and other peppers as my Mexican employees. They liked to test me and were quite surprised that I could match them.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
To all the clever ladies answering "I like spicy food, and I am a female." Although I see the confusion is this poorly worded question, the asker does not seem to mean to ask do only men eat spicy food? The question is whether or not eating spicy food is often done as a bravado, or to show off and impress or intimidate in North American cultures. At least that's the question I was asking when I stumbled upon this feed.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I too never heard of it being a manly test.

I have heard of it being a dare and open to both sexes. With that said, I handle spicier things than my husband but he wears the pants in the family.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
A Fresh Jalapeno? That would be like eating candy to this woman. Watch as she attempts to eat 60 ghost peppers and then rubs them in her eyes without any ill effects. In case you have not heard of the Ghost Pepper it is one of the hottest in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfobnpvhnA

I recently saw an episode of Stan Lee's Superhumans where she takes pepper spray to the face and doesn't even flinch. Take a look here

Pepper Proof Woman Video - Stan Lee's Superhumans - HISTORY.com

So no I would not associate eating hot and spicy foods with gender.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis_d_trippz View Post
To all the clever ladies answering "I like spicy food, and I am a female." Although I see the confusion is this poorly worded question, the asker does not seem to mean to ask do only men eat spicy food? The question is whether or not eating spicy food is often done as a bravado, or to show off and impress or intimidate in North American cultures. At least that's the question I was asking when I stumbled upon this feed.
The clever ladies are refuting the association of spicy food with gender in the US, and are answering the OP's question: NO, eating spicy foods is NOT commonly a sign of bravado here. We women can and do enjoy the heat at least as much as men, and no one's impressed or intimated by a man who can handle a few chiles or jalapeños.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Eating hot, spicy food is NOT a "guy" thing. As I grew up, living in Asia in my formative years, hot peppers were used for many things. One of them to help stay cool in summer months. Bite into a hot pepper, break a sweat, breeze cools you better. It is also very healthy. Hot pepper cuts the goo out of your blood, and helps energize the body.

Many places where we lived , also, did not have refrigeration. Hot spices helped cover the tastes of more ...gamey...foods. Some of those Asian peppers are not for the young or faint of heart. Lol. However, the women, and children as well, gobbled them with gusto. That hot foods are a "macho" thing is laughable to me. I watched adolescent children double over in laughter at Force Recon Marines grabbing for their canteens after biting into native foods. Lmao...."macho" indeed.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
While eating dinner earlier tonight my wife got up, sliced up half a habanero (red savina), threw it on her plate, and consumed it with her meal.

Where she comes from it's not "manly" ... it's just "normal".

Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm the chief spicy food eater in my house, and am very much female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink