Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times

Advertisements

I think what scares me is that the pundits claim that lamb and mint jelly go great together. Just can't imagine anything going great with mint jelly. Anything that's in the same class with mint jelly has got to be yuck worthy.

Or maybe it's because I recall the odor of mutton as a child visiting a neighbor's house. Yeah I know that mutton pertains to geezer sheep rather than a sheep under 12 months of age, but still .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Ha, I was the one that said I liked mint sauce (NOT jelly) with lamb. It's in part a cultural thing for me.

Lamb is also quite common in Middle Eastern cooking, in that context usually not with mint and very delicious. Mutton, lamb and goat are common meats in much of the world but not so much in the US.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
My dad used to love lamb chops.

I think lamb is too "gamey".

Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I think what scares me is that the pundits claim that lamb and mint jelly go great together. Just can't imagine anything going great with mint jelly. Anything that's in the same class with mint jelly has got to be yuck worthy.

Or maybe it's because I recall the odor of mutton as a child visiting a neighbor's house. Yeah I know that mutton pertains to geezer sheep rather than a sheep under 12 months of age, but still .......
Ok, so firstly, lamb and mutton are two separate flavors, and I have only had lamb.

I suggest you get a boneless leg of lamb (Sam's Club is a good source), place small slivers of fresh garlic in the surface, sprinkle with some fresh rosemary if you have it, roast it to a medium rare stage, use some black coffee in the gravy, and serve with either mint sauce or jelly (you can warm the jelly to make a sauce). It is very mild and delicious...a special occasion meal here.

If you are scared of spending the money for fear you won't like it, a good lamb meal with training wheels would be ground lamb patties, grilled, and served with the mint sauce. Most big grocery stores, like Publix, carry ground lamb from time to time.

Go for it.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
My dad used to love lamb chops.

I think lamb is too "gamey".
The sweet mint can counteract the gamieness.

Again I think it's in part cultural. If one hasn't been exposed to stronger-tasting meat, (or "fishy-tasting" fish) early in life, it's probably harder to acquire a taste for it.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
I'll be 70 this year and I've never had lamb.

And never will.

There are just some things I can't do.

I think that's why Paul and Linda McCartney became vegans. They were watching some of their lambs frolicking in their yard and that was the last straw.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so firstly, lamb and mutton are two separate flavors, and I have only had lamb.

I suggest you get a boneless leg of lamb (Sam's Club is a good source), place small slivers of fresh garlic in the surface, sprinkle with some fresh rosemary if you have it, roast it to a medium rare stage, use some black coffee in the gravy, and serve with either mint sauce or jelly (you can warm the jelly to make a sauce). It is very mild and delicious...a special occasion meal here.

If you are scared of spending the money for fear you won't like it, a good lamb meal with training wheels would be ground lamb patties, grilled, and served with the mint sauce. Most big grocery stores, like Publix, carry ground lamb from time to time.

Go for it.
Love it!!

You're right, mutton (or goat) is much stronger-tasting than lamb.

I used to have an award-winning recipe for chili that used equal parts ground pork, lamb and beef. I made it many times but it's been ages and I can't recall the recipe now. But it was truly great chili.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
i like lamb, alot,,, one of my favorite meal is a bnls lamb leg on a rotisserrie

its a treat,,,quite expensive,, i dont think it has a strong gamey taste at all

Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 AM

709 posts, read 955,775 times
Have some or don't. Makes no difference to me. But as soon as spring hits, I will slap some chops on a charcoal grill and savor every bit. Truly finger lickin' good!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times
I acquired a taste for it in my 20s. But then I also like the "fishy-ness" of fish, even though lamb is the only meat I consume that is close to wild game. I had to stop eating it because of the fat content, so I may lose my taste for it in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink