Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In an average month, how many stores do you normally shop at for groceries?
One 9 14.75%
Two 19 31.15%
Three 16 26.23%
Four or more 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times

Advertisements

Mostly one store. I have stop and shop by me and it has everything I need. On occasion I will go to a place called village meat market if I need a special cut of meat. I don't see the point of going to 2 more stores. But then again in NY and on LI there is a grocery store on just about every other block. I will maybe twice a year go to costco for Toilet paper and other supplies like that but not for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
Mostly Meijer and Strack and Van Til (Northwest Indiana chain that is expanding into all of Chicagoland). Jewel not so much anymore since they closed the closest store. Strack and Van Til is a very nimble competitor that is on a big growing streak lately, though the local Jewel was probably done in by the Meijer across the street (frankly Meijer's service is better then both Jewel and Dominick's lately). Stack and Van Til's have far better service (and pricing) then either of the big 2 in the Chicago area. Dominick's is a shell of its former self.

It will be interesting how Jewel and Dominick's reacts. So far, not so well, both Jewel and Dominick's are at low points and are struggling to even stay in business. The entry of Meijer, Whole Foods and a few others to the Chicago area have taken big bites out of the big two. Strack and Van Til will likely replace Dominick's as the number two grocer in the Chicago area the way its going.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I'll keep an eye out for Strack and Van Til, Rich. Never heard of it!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
I have the luxury of many markets in a 10 mile radius. I usually shop at four on a regular basis. Being retired, I can shop for the sale items without having to travel a ridiculous distance to get the best deals.

I go to Aldi. Since they don't carry everything I need, I do fill in at
Price Chopper, though they are pricey for the area, and right across the street is
Gerrity's (a local chain) although I'm not crazy about their bakery, so I go to
Wegman's (if you don't have one, I'm sorry for you) which is a limited chain out of N.Y.
They have a loaf of Italian bread that seldom makes it out of the parking lot whole. Lots of specialty items that could really blow the budget so I have to be careful.

Now from time to time, I may find myself in WalMart and rather than make another stop, I might pick up a can or bottle of something. But that's not a regular so I guess it doesn't count, does it?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,517 times
Publix
Kroger
Whole Foods

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
The regulars are

Stop n Shop (my main store)
Key Food (for emergencies since it's close to home)
Trader Joe's
Asian market (mainly for seafood and vegetables)
Farmer's market
BJ's

I go to others regularly, but less than once a month.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
1) Aldi - for staples, German specials, some produce specials, cookies and crackers.
2) Local independents - Joseph's Marketplace, Joe Caputos, Eurofresh - for meat, bakery, deli and produce.
3) Woodmans - for cheese, sausage, frozen foods, specialty foods.
4) Meijer - for some seafood.
5) Super H Mart - Korean specialties, seafood.
6) Mitsuwa Marketplace - some seafood, ground beef.
7) Mail order for coffee, Cajun specialties, some cheeses.

Seldom shop at Jewel or Dominicks. They are neither price or quality competitive.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I'm glad to know there are so many others who shop at tons of different stores, like me!!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 AM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'll keep an eye out for Strack and Van Til, Rich. Never heard of it!
I should have mentioned their other brand Ultra Foods. I'm looking at their website and almost all of the new Illinois locations are Ultra's. Looks like they are in Wheaton, Lombard, Downers Grove, Forest Park, Hanover Park, Joliet, Kankakee, Calumet Park, Crestwood, one location in Chicago along with several south suburban locations they have had for years already. As Strack and Van Tils, they have another Chicago location and Plainfield. They took over many former Cub Food locations. Don't know why they are naming most of the Illinois locations Ultra's.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
Most of my shopping is done at Shop-Rite and sometimes I stop at Pathmark,A & P and Stop and Shop for a few things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink