Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

I think Hostess's HoHo's were the best! No over brands matched it's taste and quality. Now that they're gone what brands would be a good substitute? Aldi has cheap $1.26 "hoho's," what other brands are similar? - Are they good tasting / good quality enough?

How about:
- the Twinkie
- Ding Dongs
- the Raspberry Zinger

Well, I got my Hostess fix from winning this ebay auction, but there were no Hoho's in it!

Hostess 10 Packs Cupcakes Ding Dongs and Zingers | eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Little Debbie isn't bad, pretty much found everywhere, cheap, and the oatmeal pies are pretty good. I know they have cupcakes, and swiss rolls. Not sure if anything like the raspberry zingers or twinkies though.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I haven't had any hostess products in a long time, so it is going to be no real loss for me. The Twinkies weren't tasting as good years ago!

My favorite were the ding dongs which they changed the name to King Donsin the late 80's I think.

I was thinking back to when my kids were little and I always bought Little Debbie. The Swiss Cake rolls were my favorites.

I do think it will be strange not seeing Hostess Bread on the shelves...

Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I won't be missing any of that because I don't remember ever eating any of it. I don't even know what a Ho Ho is except Santa says that and adds another Ho.

We like Little Debbie. My husband used to bring home the sweet sixteen doughnuts but as far as I am concerned they were not worth bringing home. They mostly made a big mess on the plate or if you got one in your hand, which I never did, the vacuum had to be used on the floor.

I like Little Debbie Oatmeal, Raisin, Swiss Rolls and sometimes the special holiday prepared cakes such as the present Christmas trees. I am not sure Little Debbie makes these but my very favorite already prepared desserts is the Chocolate peanut butter rectangles. Sorry, I don't know the proper name for them but they melt in your mouth with coffee.

I have discovered the Harris Teeter donut special of 6 for almost $3. The square ones with creme in the middle are my favorite if they leave the chocolate off them. I wish they would learn to put coconut on top instead of chocolate with the white icing. That would be the same as what was called "The Mineral" at the donut shoppe in Mineral, Virginia. Wish they would move near me here. I made at least one trip to that place every time I visited my daughter when she lived there.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I won't be missing any of that because I don't remember ever eating any of it. I don't even know what a Ho Ho is except Santa says that and adds another Ho.

We like Little Debbie. My husband used to bring home the sweet sixteen doughnuts but as far as I am concerned they were not worth bringing home. They mostly made a big mess on the plate or if you got one in your hand, which I never did, the vacuum had to be used on the floor.

I like Little Debbie Oatmeal, Raisin, Swiss Rolls and sometimes the special holiday prepared cakes such as the present Christmas trees. I am not sure Little Debbie makes these but my very favorite already prepared desserts is the Chocolate peanut butter rectangles. Sorry, I don't know the proper name for them but they melt in your mouth with coffee.

I have discovered the Harris Teeter donut special of 6 for almost $3. The square ones with creme in the middle are my favorite if they leave the chocolate off them. I wish they would learn to put coconut on top instead of chocolate with the white icing. That would be the same as what was called "The Mineral" at the donut shoppe in Mineral, Virginia. Wish they would move near me here. I made at least one trip to that place every time I visited my daughter when she lived there.
Little Debbie does make those, but I don't know what they are called either!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Personally, I could care less either way, Im one of those who prefer things home made, at least for the most part, you know whats in it. Not that theres anything wrong with those pre packaged manufactured cupcakes, but.....just sayin'.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Weren't they called "Nutty Buddies"? I remember my father LOVED them! We had the Swiss Cake Rolls too.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
I heard Mrs. Freshley's is good.

Walgreen's has their own knock offs of several Hostess varieties. Does anyone know if they were made by Hostess? I couldn't tell the difference.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Weren't they called "Nutty Buddies"? I remember my father LOVED them! We had the Swiss Cake Rolls too.
I don't know if there is a cake called nutty buddy, but Nutty Buddy is (or was) an ice cream drum stick: sugar cone, vanilla ice cream, chocolate coating, covered in chopped walnuts

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
You know, when I first heard about the Hostess closing, I was sadly amused - in that nostalgic way when you learn a childhood name-brand ceases to exist. "Yeah it was a favorite when I was a kid, but I'm not a kid anymore it doesn't really impact me." That kind of feeling.

But now I realize - it's not just no more DingDongs and Yodels and Devil Dogs (remember, Drakes was part of Hostess). It's no more Wonder Bread, and no more Home Pride bread.

Wonder will still be produced in Mexico and Canada, but no more in the USA. Home Pride was strictly a USA-produced product. Home Pride was my "go-to" bread whenever the higher quality stuff was only available at full price of buy-one-get-one-free. Since I only buy one loaf at a time, I could never take advantage of the B1G1 sales and hated paying $4.69 for a loaf of Pepperige Farms, I'd just get the Home Pride for $1.99 instead that week.

I won't be able to do that anymore. I think even the store brand was made by Hostess.

This is very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink