Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times

Advertisements

It must be soup day! I was going to make a yellow split pea which is one of my all-time favorites. But I spotted a 15 bean mix and have that on the stove right now with some ham hocks, carrots, tomatoes, onions. Smells wonderful!

But I can't eat all of it, as it's for a church fundraiser called "Souper Bowl" on Super Bowl Sunday supporting the local food pantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM

271 posts, read 600,393 times
If you wanted to make it vegetarian, Goya sells ham seasoning, its in a packet, I think every store carries it. And it's vegetarian too. But you might need to cut down on any additional salt because it's pretty salty. I use it for all my bean/pea soups. Works very well.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Its funny to see this old thread of mine resurrected.

I ended up using this recipe: Split Pea Soup with Rosemary Recipe - Allrecipes.com - minus the leeks, and chopped ham instead of the bacon (since I have some in the fridge).

I've now realized that the rosemary is the key ingredient for split pea soup, at least for me.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I bet a stick of pepperoni would be awesome in pea soup.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
It must be soup day! I was going to make a yellow split pea which is one of my all-time favorites. But I spotted a 15 bean mix and have that on the stove right now with some ham hocks, carrots, tomatoes, onions. Smells wonderful!

But I can't eat all of it, as it's for a church fundraiser called "Souper Bowl" on Super Bowl Sunday supporting the local food pantry.

Our church does a Souper Bowl fund raiser too.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
I don't flavor it with smoked anything. I just make it with peas, onions, salt and pepper.

Me too.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Take the spam out of the can and dice, heat a fry pan and cook until spam gets nicely browned and crisp on the edges. puree spam until it becomes smooth. Add chicken broth, water, peas and spam to a big pot and bring to a boil. simmer 1 hour. In a food processor combine carrots, onion and garlic and pulse until it make a paste. after 1 hour add the veggies. Cook 1 more hour and add cream cheese at the end and stir until it melts. Transfer soup in 2 batches into food processor and puree until smooth. I did not think I would like the spam in it but it gave the soup a great flavor and my husband really enjoyed it. The spam was my idea since that is what I had. My neighbor says she has done it with spam, bacon, canned ham, ham hocks and even canadian bacon.someone gave us a can of spam and I decided to try it in this soup, I myself have never tried spam before. The consistency was not as thick as hers or my MIL's but if you like it thicker use less liquid.
I could never bring myself to put Spam into my soup. To think about a puree of Spam almost makes me ill. Call me an old fogey or whatever you wish but I say the notion of Spam in soup goes beyond all the rules of civilized behavior.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I could never bring myself to put Spam into my soup. To think about a puree of Spam almost makes me ill. Call me an old fogey or whatever you wish but I say the notion of Spam in soup goes beyond all the rules of civilized behavior.
I hate spam too but my husband wanted to try it so I bought some. I fried it up till it got crisp then chopped it up and added to my soup. I think todays split pea came out better than the first one I made. From now on I will use bacon.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I don't like ham in my split pea soup, so I often make it with flanken. When we get down to the flanken at the end, we eat it with little horseradish. Yum!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
If you want some smoky-meaty flavor and you are vegetarian, try using smoked paprika and cumin. And roasted garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink