Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

248 posts, read 442,947 times

Advertisements

I have been told coriander stays fresh in a glass of water.
Should it be kept in the fridge or outside at room temperature ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
The plant form Cilantro keeps best dry and wrapped air tight. Refrigerated in vegie drawer. I usually or sometimes wrap it in paper towels after drying well. Wrap in plastic wrap or keep in a Ziplock bag. Then keep refrigerated.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
What I do, is I mince it fine, then add around a teaspoon of olive oil to the bowl. And then I spoon it out into a tray of miniature ice cubes, and freeze it, covered tightly with plastic wrap. When you need to use some, just pop one out of the tray. It's approximately 1 teaspoon of minced cilantro per cube.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Sounds good too^^ I guess it depends on what you'll be using it for. I usually use it to make pico de gallo ..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I do this as well...and with other fresh herbs...ie dill, thyme, basil etc.

They taste v-e-r-y fresh and no worry re how long they will keep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What I do, is I mince it fine, then add around a teaspoon of olive oil to the bowl. And then I spoon it out into a tray of miniature ice cubes, and freeze it, covered tightly with plastic wrap. When you need to use some, just pop one out of the tray. It's approximately 1 teaspoon of minced cilantro per cube.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM

I stole the idea from Trader Joe's - they sell these minced frozen herbs in miniature plastic cube trays for like $4 each. I just re-use the tray

And yes, pico de gallo is what I use it for!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I stole the idea from Trader Joe's - they sell these minced frozen herbs in miniature plastic cube trays for like $4 each. I just re-use the tray

And yes, pico de gallo is what I use it for!
Why the oil ?? Coating the herb must be necessary? Seems like it wouldn't mix well with the water. I've heard of this ice cube method before. I haven't tried it but I'm sure it's a great idea. I suppose it would work ok in Pico de gallo. I usually use dry cilantro and no oil. Wish I had room in my freezer for another tray. Ice maker is on the blink so using trays at this time.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Why the oil ?? Coating the herb must be necessary? Seems like it wouldn't mix well with the water. I've heard of this ice cube method before. I haven't tried it but I'm sure it's a great idea. I suppose it would work ok in Pico de gallo. I usually use dry cilantro and no oil. Wish I had room in my freezer for another tray. Ice maker is on the blink so using trays at this time.
It doesn't mix with water. You're not using water. You're using a tiny bit of oil, and minced cilantro (coriander). The oil is used as a suspension for the herbs. That way the herbs do -not- dry out. They remain fresh-frozen, in an olive oil suspension. You use only enough that you can press the herb down into the cube pockets to make dense cubes that pop out easily from the tray when you're ready to use them. It's a miniature cube tray. By that, I don't mean that the tray is miniature. I mean it makes miniature ice cubes. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It doesn't mix with water. You're not using water. You're using a tiny bit of oil, and minced cilantro (coriander). The oil is used as a suspension for the herbs. That way the herbs do -not- dry out. They remain fresh-frozen, in an olive oil suspension. You use only enough that you can press the herb down into the cube pockets to make dense cubes that pop out easily from the tray when you're ready to use them. It's a miniature cube tray. By that, I don't mean that the tray is miniature. I mean it makes miniature ice cubes. Like this:

Amazon.com: Cubette Mini Ice Cube Trays: Kitchen & Dining
Oh O.K. Seems like it would stay slushy..never thought about how oil would freeze. So it's very lightly oiled herbs and compacted to help them stay together. Sounds like a great method. I know some roadside markets keep cilantro in water. Thanks for the info ..and btw, it makes a huge difference to get the cilantro as fresh as possible. Goes without saying as with any herb. I've had it stay in good shape for a week and a half or so in the fridge.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM

The herbs get minced, and mixed with the oil. It ends up being kind of like a pesto, except with cilantro instead of basil, and a LOT more condensed. Oil doesn't freeze into hardened cubes like water does, but it does harden and solidify. Once you pop the cube out, and hits room temperature, it begins to soften, and usually you can smush it with your finger within a few minutes.

And, you can grow cilantro pretty easily in your house or in your garden. It tends to repel aphids, and supposedly attracts beneficial insects. My garden is all perennials and cilantro is an annual, which is the only reason I don't grow it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink