Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This is what happens when people want to pay as little as possible for things like food. You get what you pay for and reap what you sow. When you refuse to pay enough to allow people who would actually grow or catch food properly to have a liveable wage, this is what happens.
It has little to do with the consumer end, and all to do with the manufacturer end. The company will go where they can obtain the largest profit, not offer the lowest prices. The lower price comes as a result of undercutting (or what some will say is dumping), a product onto the market to gain share. Once they have the share, the price will go up.

I am wondering where all of these low prices are for Chinese made products because I do not see it. Heck, just buying windshield wipers the other day and the Chinese made were the first and second most expensive, made in Mexico was the cheapest, none were made in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,041,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Nothing from China, ever - and I avoid anything from Mexico as much as possible.
I'm in Southern California and I've been noticing that lots of our produce and meats come from Mexico .... My favorite (sarcasm) is the meat that come from Mexico/USA/Canada ... Like, what the HECK does that mean???!!!

If a country's water isn't safe to drink, then how can it be safe to consume their produce, meats and other food products?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm in Southern California and I've been noticing that lots of our produce and meats come from Mexico .... My favorite (sarcasm) is the meat that come from Mexico/USA/Canada ... Like, what the HECK does that mean???!!!

If a country's water isn't safe to drink, then how can it be safe to consume their produce, meats and other food products?

I saw a box of ground beef patties from a California meat packer with the tag, "Made in US/Canada/Mexico/Brazil/Argentina/Nicaragua.

My question to Sam's Club/Costco/Trader Joe's in this: Can't you find a local Midwestern packing house to produce your ground beef instead of shipping it 2,000+ miles?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,041,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I saw a box of ground beef patties from a California meat packer with the tag, "Made in US/Canada/Mexico/Brazil/Argentina/Nicaragua.

My question to Sam's Club/Costco/Trader Joe's in this: Can't you find a local Midwestern packing house to produce your ground beef instead of shipping it 2,000+ miles?
Exactly ... Why is it too much trouble for companies to use more local meat/produce versus shipping it from far away countries with questionable water supplies?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:56 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Exactly ... Why is it too much trouble for companies to use more local meat/produce versus shipping it from far away countries with questionable water supplies?

One step further - Why bring beef from CALIFORNIA when there are many beef processors in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska?

Why bring in Tillamook, when there are hundreds of dairy co-ops that produce BETTER cheese in Wisconsin?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,849,124 times
From rat meat being sold as lamb to toxins found in rice, food scandals are a daily occurrence in the world's second biggest economy, fueling anger amongst Chinese who also complain about severe air pollution and poor water quality.
Stung by scandals, China expands system to track food shipments | Reuters

The article below isn't from last year, or two years ago. It's from, today....
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/world/...des/index.html

Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 AM

109 posts, read 155,647 times
With all the bad news about foods coming all the way from China, I say it was China exports that I'm avoiding. It's really disturbing knowing those foods may have been contaminated.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,236,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Nothing from China ever. In fact I boycott that country in general. I don't trust anything they make sell or produce. They treat people horribly and they skin and boil cats and dogs alive.

No desire to go there at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I avoid foods from Asian, though in some cases there isn't an alternative. All the cookware, dishes, etc I use is US or European made as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I only buy USA and local, very few prodeucts from Europe. I don't buy anything from Mexico either.
I try to avoid buying anything from China. Unfortunately since the US doesn't manufacture as it did
before, there are slim pickins to buy electronic goods. Oh, Motorola, Zenith, where forth art thou?
Anyway, I hang onto my utensils, pots and pans, t-pot and dishes because most of those goods come
from China. I don't trust them when they say its 100% stainless steel (had a t-pot labeled as 100%
and it started to rust) Then what type of glaze do they use on dishware? Does it contain lead?
Look at the apple juice next time you're at the store - the apples in the juice come from outside the US.
There was one brand that had large type saying 100% USA apples to let consumers like us know.
Then I worry about produce from Mexico. The US used to use DDT, banned it here, and then sold it
to other countries. I can't find the current statistics but Mexico did use our DDT for produce.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Nothing from China, ever...not just food but any personal products etc.

I live on the coast- so local seafood
I'd be more annoyed at food from the US. Everything we make has corn, corn, and more corn. And wheat and soybean.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Corn Oil, and Hydrolyzed Corn Protein (which is synthetic MSG). Please, US food, just die. I don't want your burgers, white breads, or your cheese.

China by contrast has the healthiest food available (fresh chicken, fresh squid, fresh whatever, served with rice and veggies, you can get it straight from market), and you can get it steamed.

We love to talk bad about China, but the truth is, in regards to our people, we're hypocrites.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,236,878 times
^^^I don't think the posters on this thread are hypocrites. You have some valid points about corn syrup & hydrogenated
oils. Yes, those are not healthy choices and many of those foods are processed & packaged. We can start another
thread on that and how many of us would like to see less sodium, artificial ingredients, palm oil, less sugar, antibiotics
in our meat........ Also, I think restaurants should provide information on what ingredients are in the meals as we see
in processed foods.
A chinese diet is healthier but what we are talking about here are the deceptive and corrupt production of food and
products of China. They are poisoning their own people. The link below is one example and the locals in the area
were drinking that water.

Number of dead pigs flooding Shanghai river rises to nearly 6,000* - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink