Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

great ideas. thanks. I've found a lot of Moms won't admit to cutting corners and fixing an "easy" quick meal when necessary. yet we all know they do it every time.

all I have to say is thank god for ragu.

forgot to mention that I'm home just a few days from pacemaker surgery and still a bit wobbly and not ready to tackle poor balance and grocery shopping in this heat. We are planning to go as soon as they open in the morning and hoping to get some fresh veggies and stock up on staples which I let get too low over the past month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

forgot to mention that I'm home just a few days from pacemaker surgery and still a bit wobbly and not ready to tackle poor balance and grocery shopping in this heat. We are planning to go as soon as they open in the morning and hoping to get some fresh veggies and stock up on staples which I let get too low over the past month.
Get well quickly.

I had my primary standby tonight, scrambled eggs. I had them on top of white toast and added a dollop of mayo to the eggs at the end. The little bit of cold mayo stops the cooking so the eggs are just the way you want them and adds a special something to the taste. Start with about a Tbsp per four eggs; as you do it more you'll get just the right amount for you.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Money has been very tight recently, so the need for "simple and cheap" meals became very important... I've discovered that breakfast foods work best, i.e. omelets, french toast, pancakes, and scrambled eggs w/ toast. All you need to keep in the home are ingredients like bread, eggs, milk & cheese, and you're good to go for MANY meals! Another quick & easy recipe is fried matzo, which is a pretty standard Jewish brunch item:

1/2-1 box of matzo, crumbled into small pieces
Wet with hot water and drain
Add 2-4 eggs (depending on how much matzo you've used)
Mix together, add a little pepper and/or garlic powder & salt for flavor
Throw on a frying pan & stir/cook for about 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-30-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM

P.S. I don't have children of my own, but do occasionally make dinner for my 4 1/2 year-old niece & 2 1/2 year-old nephew while babysitting... the standards for them are chicken nuggets, microwave pizza, cheese quesadillas, macaroni & cheese, etc. They usually just want yogurt (Go-Gurt) and ice cream, though!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Omelets
Pasta tossed with olive oil and garlic or jarred sauce
Beans and rice

If I have nothing else, I generally at least have the ingredients for that.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Money has been very tight recently, so the need for "simple and cheap" meals became very important... I've discovered that breakfast foods work best, i.e. omelets, french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs w/ toast, etc. All you need to keep in the home are ingredients like bread, eggs, milk & cheese, and you're good to go for MANY meals! Another quick & easy recipe is fried matzo, which is a pretty standard Jewish brunch item:

1/2-1 box of matzo, crumbled into small pieces
Wet with hot water and drain
Add 2-4 eggs (depending on how much matzo you've used)
Mix together, add a little pepper and/or garlic powder & salt for flavor
Throw on a frying pan & stir/cook for about 2-3 minutes until it looks like scrambled eggs.
Are matzoballs made from this as well? Do you have a recipe? Is there only one standard size matzo box? I like matzoball soup and I believe that taste would work with eggs so this could be a winner. It seems that there must be far more matzo than egg in the dish.

Would a regular supermarket in a big city carry matzo or do I need to go to a special store? I don't want to buy a large quantity on line until I've tried it.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
great ideas. thanks. I've found a lot of Moms won't admit to cutting corners and fixing an "easy" quick meal when necessary. yet we all know they do it every time.
My sister (mother of my niece & nephew) is a VERY busy working mom... she works even more hours than her husband, often 50-60 + weekends during the football season, since she's an executive with the NFL. So she makes no excuses for fixing easy meals, as they literally wouldn't eat otherwise! Many families are in similar situations these days, so I don't think women are expected to make big/fancy meals nightly anymore. Not to mention, the dads are welcomed to cook too.

Quote:
all I have to say is thank god for ragu.
Yep, spaghetti is always a great option! I just made a big pot last night, which should last me 2-3 days... I prefer Newman's sauce, though, and add my own ingredients (ground turkey, garlic, onion, red wine, etc) on top. Yummy.

Quote:
Feel better soon!!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Are matzoballs made from this as well? Do you have a recipe?
Matzoballs (and matzoball soup) are MUCH more complicated, and rather difficult to put into a written recipe... it's one of those things your mother/grandmother teaches, and you learn just by watching & later perfecting the "art." I could try to put it into writing, but can't guarantee they'll turn out perfectly! Best to find a nice Jewish grandmother, and have her teach you instead.

Quote:
Is there only one standard size matzo box? I like matzoball soup and I believe that taste would work with eggs so this could be a winner. It seems that there must be far more matzo than egg in the dish.
Yes, the standard matzo box is pretty universal worldwide... I've never seen a variation, but beware of boxed "matzoball" mixtures. They're WAY too salty, and taste quite awful in my opinion. For matzoballs you actually want to use a plain matzomeal, as opposed to whole crackers or the pre-mixed stuff.

Eggs are used in matzoballs too, but with a slightly different ratio - it's a bit more matzo than egg for the fried matzo, and vice versa for the balls/soup. For the balls, you want them to be almost a meatball texture, although preferences do vary. Personally I like what they call "sinkers" as opposed to "floaters," meaning I like mine more solid to where they sink under the soup.

Quote:
Would a regular supermarket in a big city carry matzo or do I need to go to a special store? I don't want to buy a large quantity on line until I've tried it.
They should, especially if you're in the northeast or California... just look for the Kosher foods section, which is usually on the same aisle as other "ethnic" (Indian, Mexican, etc) foods. I would recommend the Streit's brand, in plain/unsalted flavor if you're planning to cook with it - and if you just want to munch on them like crackers, my favorite is the egg flavor. That brand should be available at any major supermarket, and the Yehuda brand is also fairly standard but a tad dry IMO.

Streit's Matzos - The Kosher Grocer since 1925

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-30-2012 at 11:39 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Oh, I forgot Streit's does make a BIG (double) box... but you'll know when you see that, whereas the rest are all a standard size.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
Like others, Spaghetti and Sauce is a simple 'go to'.

However, another meal my husband and I enjoy when I'm low on Fresh Ingredients for whatever reason (or tired!) is:

-Baked Beans (I use Vegetarian)
-Italian Sausages (I use Vegetarian 'Tofurky' sausages)
-Frozen Vegetables (a mix of Potatoes, Carrots and Green Beans)

It's delicious and filling when you're in a pinch for fresh ingredients and just have to go to the Pantry / Fridge / Freezer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink