Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Lubby
Go to Aldis in Bay Shore buy their frozen chinese veg. $3.49. add chicken,shrimp.or beef,10 minutes your done.Add soy and hot mustard
Also try Aldis pizza. We were amazed at how good it was. We got one a fews weeks ago, I did add a few slicd onions and a something else, but I can't remember what. Regardless we were not expecting much and we were very happy with what we got. I would say it might have been 100% better than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't have little kids anymore, but used to be tacos, spaghetti, Rice-A-Roni, rotisserie chicken, grilled cheese. Used to make little pizzas with English muffins, pizza sauce and shredded mozarella, then melt in the oven. Also used to make "nachos" with any kind of crackers or chips, taco sauce, and some kind of cheese, then put in the microwave till cheese melted. Tuna salad, tuna casserole. They loved the cheap Totino's cheese pizza so I used to keep a lot of those on hand. They also liked Ramen noodles.

Surprisingly, Rice A Roni and Kraft mac and cheese - together - are kind of good. Found that out one time when there was a storm approaching and we didn't feel like going out to the store. Made both, put them in a bowl together - and it was pretty good!

Also used to make pasta salad with tri colored pasta, Wishbone Italian dressing, chicken (we used leftover rotisserie chicken), and whatever else we had to throw in there - olives, red, green or yellow peppers, parmesan cheese, etc.
yep, when our kids were young (long gone now, even some of the grandkids have kids) we did tacos a lot on Sat nights and yes, the pizza on the English muffins. I put the stuff out and let them make their own. Of course grilled cheese was also a hit. We didn't do the mac and cheese even though our older daughter lived on it in college or so I hear. One person did pandJ sandwhiches, that was one we never did for dinner even in a hurry...

Nita

Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I know OP has fed the children but lets maintain this thread. I will add more ideas.

Baked potato bar. You can microwave the potatoes (since it is so hot outside) and let the kids add their own toppings.
I like to serve baked potato bar but don't like the taste of microwaved potatoes. We use our toaster oven to bake the potatoes. I find whatever odds and ends of fresh produce and herbs I have in the refrigerator, dice and chop, and put everything out in bowls on the kitchen counter.

A big baked potato topped with diced tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, chopped red onion, chives or cilantro, sprinkled with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper makes a great meal.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Doesnt get much simpler than a phone call to Dominos Pizza.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I like to serve baked potato bar but don't like the taste of microwaved potatoes. We use our toaster oven to bake the potatoes. I find whatever odds and ends of fresh produce and herbs I have in the refrigerator, dice and chop, and put everything out in bowls on the kitchen counter.

A big baked potato topped with diced tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, chopped red onion, chives or cilantro, sprinkled with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper makes a great meal.
we use our toaster oven most of the time as well. Luckily ours is oversized. It is yucky looking cause I use it so much, I can't get all the junk off the glass, etc but I know it is basically clean and it has becomre my favorite kitehen friend...

nita

Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Doesnt get much simpler than a phone call to Dominos Pizza.
don't laugh at me but it was so hot I refused to call for delivery cause I just couldn't put anybody through that. I could not tip enough to ask somebody to get in this heat and humidity.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM

20,945 posts, read 28,464,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Also try Aldis pizza. We were amazed at how good it was. We got one a fews weeks ago, I did add a few slicd onions and a something else, but I can't remember what. Regardless we were not expecting much and we were very happy with what we got. I would say it might have been 100% better than expected.
I heard it's good but I really don't shop there, only been there twice and I prefer my local pizza joint anyway.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM

20,945 posts, read 28,464,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
don't laugh at me but it was so hot I refused to call for delivery cause I just couldn't put anybody through that. I could not tip enough to ask somebody to get in this heat and humidity.
LOL sorry couldn't resist but hey if they are willing to deliver no matter what the weather is you can bet I am calling them to deliver my food. No one is paying me to get in the car and get pizza let them do it.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,495,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Every child on earth loves mac n cheese. Or grilled cheese sandwiches. This goes over well if you have a meat to use in the sandwich.

My grandma used to grill hot dog buns, add jelly, and then the frank. I always added mustard to mine.

I did this when both my daughters were really young. I used a flour tortilla and wrapped a hot dog and dressings in it and allowed them to microwave them.

You could also splatter a tortilla with tomato sauce and let them add their fav available toppings for pizza.

Beans and franks. Pasta and sauce with cheese.

I think if you allow the kids to own their meal they will enjoy it, regardless.
Nope, not EVERY child... My oldest (10) does not like mac & cheese or grilled cheese.. Really not a fan of cheese at all.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,168,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Nope, not EVERY child... My oldest (10) does not like mac & cheese or grilled cheese.. Really not a fan of cheese at all.
Blasphemy! I could live off cheese.

I bet said child loves brussel sprouts or something WAY off the beaten path. There is always the outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink