Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,140,047 times

Advertisements

I know a few brands are imported here. Here's one that I've used in this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There is difference between Authentic Red Paprika and that which you find in the grocery store. You need to find a store that sells IMPORTED food items. I am Hungarian and a relative visited Hungary and returned with a small cloth string tied bag of some which is a little sweeter then local red paprika. Brand name is KINGRED if my memory serves me well, as its been a few years. The Paprika comes in a can (local deli/store) and is canned in Hungary with both English/Hungarian spelling on outside. Stefhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There is difference between Authentic Red Paprika and that which you find in the grocery store. You need to find a store that sells IMPORTED food items. I am Hungarian and a relative visited Hungary and returned with a small cloth string tied bag of some which is a little sweeter then local red paprika. Brand name is KINGRED if my memory serves me well, as its been a few years. The Paprika comes in a can (local deli/store) and is canned in Hungary with both English/Hungarian spelling on outside. Stefhen
Steve...saw your post in the 'stuffed cabbage' thread....I'm planning on getting some good paprika from a great German store in our area. They have tons of stuff, make their own wursts, every kind you can think of and have a good selection of imported foods as well as an AWESOME restaurant. That is where I had the goulash that I have been craving. I am in Pennsylvania, but here is their store link if you are interested in just looking...The Alpine Restaurant

Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,952,817 times
Hope the MODERATER will bear with me on this one. There is a slight connection of the Cabbage Rolls,Golash etc with different spices used. Read in a post that RED PAPRIKA first originated from TURKEY via early military conflicts and occupation of the country. They were also to have introduced many of Hungarian spices used today. Two sons married POLISH girls and their cabbage rolls are 2/3 meat and 1/3 rice. My mother would make it 1/2 & 1/2 making it a lot easier to cut with a fork and not a knife. People on these Posts are from Ohio/Penn. areas. Do they remember the PICNICS? In Ont Canada at the Hungarian Presbetarian/Catholic church services would be announced of a PICNIC to held at a nearby farm that afternoon. There would be stuffed cabbage/sausage etc and live music and a wooden dance floor under a large tree. Maybe a 200 ft away would be POLISH or SLOVAK or GERMAN picnic also going on. You had a chance to intermingle with the FOOD and dancing as everyone was WELCOME to participate. Such is my post to memory lane. Some are sure to find it pleasurable. Thanks for bearing with me. Stefhen

Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,776,244 times
Stefhen...that all sounds wonderful, what you described. I'm thinknig of having my own little polish food party. When I was a child, there were parties with all these foods, now the parties are over. I'm going to have everyone make a different dish. Should be fun!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM

My HUNGARIAN dictionary defines GOULASH as a SOUP. My mother always made it in different ways but the result was that we ate it with a fork and Dipped the FRENCH bread into the Rich Red Paprika gravy. Stefhen

Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM

I'm getting senile again, forgot to mention that I am fixing another dish today similar to the Beef Stew that I previously posted under Cabbage Rolls in error. It will be a little different but sure some will like the variation as the flavor will still be good. I will post the recipe tomorrow. Stefhen

Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,986,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Not that this doesn't necessarily taste good, but my dad's family (all of whom are from Hungary) would pass out if they saw this recipe! It's VERY Americanized and not authentic.
Being of Hungarian descent myself, I find it extremely difficult to find authentic Goulash. When I lived in New Jersey, there was a place in Trenton and New Brunswick, but I haven't found anything since moving to NC.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM

Good morning to those who have waited for my different concoction of Goulash/Paprikas. What I made yesterday came out FANTASTIC. I made Chicken Stew or Chicken Paprikas or Chicken Goulash if you wish to call it. RECIPE::: One pkg of Boneless chicken. Remove any/all skin/fat and soak in COLD water 2 hrs. Keep changing water as you will see some fat in it. After 2 hrs place chicken on paper towels on disposable paper plate, place in microwave oven on high for 90 secs. Remove and put aside. What remaining fat is okay. Get a LARGE pot put in 2 oz of veg. oil and 1 small slice/diced onion. SAUTE until slightly brown. Meanwhile cut up chicken into 2"-3" pieces and place into pot. ADD 1-1/2 tsp of red paprika. ADD 1 tsp SALT.ADD GARLIC clove cut into sm pieces.SPRINKLE with CARRAWAY SEED,BLK PEPPER SEED,BAY LEAVES,CRUSHED MINT,MARJIORAN,CORIANDER, 1 tsp PARSLEY. ADD 1 cup of WATER. STIR and Cook for 15 min. The aroma will be inviting. STIR often while preparing 3-5 carrots and equal amount of cellery cutting into small pieces.(you might consider bell pepprs or parsnips) as another choice. a matter of taste. Also cut up 4-6 potatos into cubes. ADD all veggies/potatos into pot. Pour in 4 cups of water that should cover ingredients. Cook on high untill it boils. REDUCE heat to medium level and cook for additional 15-20 min or untill potatos are done. As I had mentioned previously about French Bread/rye bread/sour dough bread still stands, as dipping the bread into the gravy adds a different flavour. Anyone who trys my concoction PLEASE let me know how it turned out for you. THANK YOU (koszonom szepen in Hungarian) Stefhen

Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,140,047 times
I tried this recipe, ILPA, and although it was good--I used spicy Paprika from Honesdale--it wasn't as good as I would have liked. I'll try another recipe in the next few weeks and jazz it up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's a recipe that closely resembles what I think goulash should be.

It does not include tomatoes or peppers but includes a recipe for those wonderful dumplings.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Just found a "AUTHENIC HUNGARIAN IMPORT STORE" yesterday. 2320 West Clark Ave, Burbank, Calif. Phone (818) 845-0433: Fax (818) 845-8656: E-Mail HungImprts@AOL.com. They have a variety of Red Paprika and all the SAUSAGES/Salami/Bacon that you may want. Check out the site and enjoy your meal, Hungarian Style. Stefhen (Pista)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes