Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM

111 posts, read 429,675 times

Advertisements

[quote= Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Here you go:

2 lb. beef chuck
1 tsp. salt
2 onions, white or yellow
2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian paprika for ultimate flavor)
2 bay leaves
1 Qt. water
4 peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Cut beef into 1 inch squares, add 1/2 tsp. salt. Chop onions and brown in shortening, add beef and paprika. Let beef simmer in its own juice along with salt and paprika for 1 hr. on low heat. Add water, diced potatoes and remaining salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are done and meat is tender. Prepare egg dumpling batter:

1 egg
6 Tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
Add flour to unbeaten egg and salt. Mix well. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Drop by teaspoonful into Goulash. Cover and simmer 5 minutes after dumplings rise to surface.

Serve hot with dollops of sour cream.

Serves 6.....[/QUOTE]

lisak64,
OMG! I just made this last night. Thank you for the recipe. It was delicious. I will probably always make it this way now.
Everyone here needs to try this. All I can say is YUMMY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Ours was the typical ground beef, onions, garlic, tomato & pasta. Sometimes I added shredded processed cheese.

I can't wait to do the real thing, thanks to lisak!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysmom View Post
lisak64,
OMG! I just made this last night. Thank you for the recipe. It was delicious. I will probably always make it this way now.
Everyone here needs to try this. All I can say is YUMMY!!
You made it! Wow, that was fast! You must've been really curious, lol! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I haven't made it in awhile...now I have the craving for it. I'll have to add the stuff to my grocery list for this week.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM

111 posts, read 429,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
You made it! Wow, that was fast! You must've been really curious, lol! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I haven't made it in awhile...now I have the craving for it. I'll have to add the stuff to my grocery list for this week.
You betcha! We did our shopping yesterday morning and I was excited to try this. I really liked the egg dumplings, what a nice added bonus, and with the sour cream, mmmmm good!!
I emailed the recipe to my mom, she is excited to try it.

Thanks again. I am always willing to try new recipes.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Default Yummy....

I have eaten goulash in Germany and Hungry (Hungaria), and it is absolutely DELICIOUS!
I must say, the one I had eaten in Hungry definitely cleared up your sinuses, and was eaten there with a homemade schnaps the farmer distilled himself, and fresh baked bread. lol
The versions of both included hot and sweet paprika, and included beef cubes.
The meat is being browned, which will serve as a base for the sauce. Good goulash is a bit time consuming, with a very low cooking temp, and long cooking time. (The beef cubes will be like butter at the end of the cooking process, and the paprika taste will have fused.)
OK, that's it....I LOVE Goulash, and I am drooling now.....lol.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,592 times
My moms goulash (now mine) is
ground beef, seasoned with salt/pepper, drained
tomato soup
corn, draned and either elbow macaroni or shell macaroni...yum! My kids love it, my husband hates it,lol...I guess it all depends on what you were brought up with.
His families goulash has tomato sauce in it and other stuff...I never make his

Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,545 times
You need to post the recipe - who cares what the "correct" name is, sounds delicious

Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
Knorr has a package sauce mix "Goulash" add beef stew meat and onion.
Very good. Serve over rice or noodles. This has the paparika and seasoning already in it. I precook the meat in a pressure cooker first so it is nice and tender.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Default That's not Goulash ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Here in my part of IN this is how we do it:

Ground beef, browned & drained
Diced onions & bell pepers
Elbow mac
Red kidney beans
Can diced tomatoes
Tomato Juice

Brown the ground beef with the onions and bell peppers; drain well. (I put ground cummin on the raw beef first) After cooking the macaroni according to package, drain it then combine it with all the other ingredients. Salt and pepper according to taste. Cook on low for 20 minutes

We like to eat it with chewy Italian bread and butter.

Sounds yummy, but I had to do a double take when I saw your recipe Good lesson for me - what's in a name??

I always associated Goulash with Hungarian Goulash which is:

2 lb. beef chuck
1 tsp. salt
2 onions, white or yellow
2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian paprika for ultimate flavor)
2 bay leaves
1 Qt. water
4 peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Cut beef into 1 inch squares, add 1/2 tsp. salt. Chop onions and brown in shortening, add beef and paprika. Let beef simmer in its own juice along with salt and paprika for 1 hr. on low heat. Add water, diced potatoes and remaining salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are done and meat is tender. Prepare egg dumpling batter:

1 egg
6 Tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
Add flour to unbeaten egg and salt. Mix well. Let stand for 1/2 hour for flour to mellow. Drop by teaspoonful into Goulash. Cover and simmer 5 minutes after dumplings rise to surface.

Serve hot with dollops of sour cream.

OR

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, diced
2 pounds flank steak
1/8 teaspoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 clove garlic, minced
5 tablespoons paprika
2 cups water
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Saute onions until soft, then add beef and brown. Stir in caraway seed, marjoram, garlic and paprika. Pour water over all, lower heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes and cook until tender, another 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
My moms goulash (now mine) is
ground beef, seasoned with salt/pepper, drained
tomato soup
corn, draned and either elbow macaroni or shell macaroni...yum! My kids love it, my husband hates it,lol...I guess it all depends on what you were brought up with.
His families goulash has tomato sauce in it and other stuff...I never make his
That's funny. My husband hates his mother's recipe for goulash, but he loves mine. It was the only thing I could cook "better than mom" when we first got married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes