Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times

Advertisements

I had a fantastic first date earlier this week, and for our second date I invited him over to my place for dinner. I'm an okay cook. I live by myself and I usually stick to the basics...tacos, spaghetti, boring! I really want to make something that will totally impress my date, but I don't want to get too fancy making something I've never made before and have it turn out awful! Does anyone have any suggestions? What can I make that will wow him but be difficult to mess up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
I was going to suggest chicken marsala but I think it might be best for you not to have to be doing the actual cooking while he's there; rather, it would be nice to have something in the oven for an hour while he's there, so you can sit and chat (and smooch?? ) with him.

SATX56 (I think I got the number right) on this forum has a recipe that -- despite my hatred for cream of X soups -- I absolutely adore. It's so simple to make and, seeing that you like tacos, I know that you'll like this. It's not exactly SATX's recipe -- I tweaked it to my own taste -- but here you go:

Chicken Enchilada Casserole (aka Mexican lasagna)

What you need:
3 chicken breasts -- season and bake and then cut into bite-sized pieces (you can do this the day before and keep in the fridge)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup of chicken broth
2 cans of Rotel (diced tomatoes and chilies)
2 medium-sized onions -- chopped
1 can sliced black olives -- or whole and slice them yourself
2 packages of small CORN tortillas or 1 package of large CORN tortillas -- either way, cut in quarters (** don’t use flour tortillas)
½ lb (or more if you want) grated cheddar cheese (mild)

What you do:
Mix soups and everything else -- except for the tortillas and cheese -- in a large bowl.

In a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish, make layers as follows (making sure you have enough tortillas, soup mix, and cheese –- in that order -- for the top layers).

• Soup mix (only light layer at bottom)
• Tortillas (you cut them in quarters so that they’d fit in the corners of the Pyrex); you can overlap as much as you’d like
• Soup mix
• Cheese
• Tortillas
• Soup mix
• Cheese
• Tortillas
• Soup mix
• Cheese (you want to end it with the last two layers being soup mix and cheese on top)

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour, or until top is a bit browned and bubbly.

Serve with sour cream if you like. (I like! )

Most important: HAVE GREAT FUN!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
What do you think that the other person likes to eat? Do you have a clue yet?

You could always make a lasagna since you already do spaghetti. It would also be good to pre-assemble so you won't be stuck in the kitchen during your date. You could also make a fresh salad dressing to go with dinner.

Good luck

Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
ossobucco. Totally impressive and actually very easy.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I say, stick with simple things, men like that...tacos are fine, that way you won't mess it up. Or do steak and a baked potato, with a salad. Or, you can always do some sort of crockpot thing, who can mess up pot roast? It is summer, do you have a barbecue? Do something like burgers, or steak...

Is does not have to be fancy. Simple is better, less is more, when it comes to cooking. Think, fresh, easy...delicious...some of the best meals I have had, were "simple" but prepared exceptional, with awesome ingredients...like a turkey, bacon, tomato sandwich, with thick slices of fresh beefsteak tomatoes, crisp peppered bacon, fresh roast turkey from the deli, and bakery bread, with crisp romaine lettuce, and dijon/mayo dressing. That is impressive to a man...believe me...make some potato salad, chips, a slab of deli pickle...an ice cold beer...tell, me that is an awesome meal...with watermelon for dessert.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,849,309 times
Make salmon! You can grill it (tons of youtube videos will show you) or bake it. I made this last week and it was solid and SUPER easy: Grilled Cilantro Salmon Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This one's good in the oven: Garlic Salmon Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Make some lemony-herby rice on the side and serve with a salad. You can step it up even more with a dill/yogurt type sauce (also generally EXTREMELY easy). Remember white wine too.

I did this for my girlfriend on our third date. I told her I had to do a dry run the night before so I didn't embarrass myself. She still laughs about it but every time she tells that story she gives me the sweetest look

PS make sure you debone the filet or that it was deboned before it was packed at the store. Google it if you need to.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Here is a pasta recipe that a friend gave me years ago - it is very easy and extremely delicious - who doesn't like a creamy, ever-so-slightly zingy pasta dish - this is truly divine. Serve with a tossed green salad, hot Italian bread or garlic cheese toast and a light lemony dessert. He will rave about the pasta.

Ginny's Sausage and Spinach Pasta Bake

This recipe makes 4 to 6 servings....would need to be doubled to feed a
crowd.

8 oz. uncooked rigatoni
1 tbls. Olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 (10oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I use a pkg of fresh baby
spinach)If you use frozen spinach, thaw,drain and press between layers
of
paper towel.
3 cups cooked, crumbled hot Italian sausage
1 (14.5oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 (8oz.) container chive and onion cream cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese.

Prepare rigatoni according to package directions.
Saute onion in evoo.
Stir rigatoni, spinach, sausage, and onion and next 4 ingredients
together
in a bowl.
Spoon mixture into baking dish and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella
cheese.
Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more
minutes or until bubbly.

The flavored cream cheese really makes this tasty.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times
These are all great suggestions, thank you so much!! I just found out he doesn't like chicken, so that's out. I found a recipe for home made spaghetti sauce. It seems pretty easy...sausage, ground beef, onions, tomatoes, spices, and red wine. It's ideal for it to simmer a long time, so I could have it pretty much ready when he got there and if it turns into a disaster I'd have time for a plan b...just boil the pasta and maybe make a salad, and it would be way better than some jar sauce...

My friend at work just told me spaghetti is too messy for a date? Maybe I'm overthinking this! Haha! I will definitely make some of these suggestions though, even if they don't get used for the date. Maybe a future date! *fingers crossed*

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Mariners Mussels (Clams, Mussles & Angel Hair) Or Camembert Croissants- Metro Recipes if you want to go for a lighter dinner
Incidently, a croissant with 1/4 of a camembert cheese in it, some green grapes and a glass of wine was something a friend told me she did for a romantic eating experience. To be blunt, she called it "Sex food."

PS. She was right.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Nothing is TOO messy for a date...I suggest just going for ribs, and sauce, and just break the ice, right there...dig in with all fingers, licking, sucking, and making a big ole mess. Sauce on your nose..at my age, you realize, that relationships are about being true to yourself, and who you are...not trying to impress anyone...and having a good time. Stressing yourself about what to cook...and trying to be someone you are not...is just not going to make you feel happy...or relaxed. Have a good time.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink