Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times

Advertisements

My mother has been hospitalized twice recently, and even though she complained, I thought the food was pretty good. And she can't cook, and I do, and well, so she was just being crabby. She had heart surgery, so she had the no salt thing too, but she got to order off a menu, call for room service, and even though they said it would be 20-30 minutes it was usually 10-15 minutes. She complained it was all the same, but she kept ordering the same thing! Peaches and cottage cheese. Well, yum, yum, THAT'S exciting! I tried to get her to order the stir fry but she wouldn't. One lunchtime I was there and she had something she wasn't going to finish, so I ate it, and it was pretty good. Not fantastic, or I'd remember WHAT it was, but still good enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Yes I did and the food was fricken cat especially the sweetcorn.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
This reminds me of when my daughter was about 6, and went into the hospital to have her tonsils out. They gave her a dinner of a pork chop and mashed potatoes. The nurse asked how she liked it and she said, "its better than my Mom's".

Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Being in the hospital meant being on medications. That can make food taste different to me,
but they had good choices the last time I was in, 5 years ago, much better than when I was younger.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
Last time I was in the hospital, I didn't get any food for 4 days. I had an IV and water. That was it. Mostly what I craved was caffine.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Last time I was in the hospital, I didn't get any food for 4 days. I had an IV and water. That was it. Mostly what I craved was caffine.
Been there, done that, not 4 days but about 3. They were waiting to decide on tests and surgery. When the finally did they still didn't feed me that day, cause they wanted to make sure my tummy was ok: Talk about feeling like I was being starved??? And they couldn't understand why my usual low blood pressure was high: hello!!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Yes, I have.

I was not put on any special diet - I was there for four days for a brain tumor biopsy / resection.

I didn't find it particularly bad - the worst thing was slopping on myself constantly because I could no longer (after the surgery) use my right hand, and my left hand was uncoordinated.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
My son was in the hospital 6 or 7 years ago for knee surgery. He was given *the menu*. He was allowed to eat whatever he wanted until about 10PM. He had the small pizza, a cheeseburger, grilled chicken and vegetables, an orange, cake and ice cream. You'd think that I hadn't fed him for a month! He said that the food was really pretty good. After surgery, the Dr. told him that if he could manage to make his way to the ward refridge, that there was juice, soda, jello, ice cream and popsicles for the taking. Doc wanted him to get out of bed and move around. About 12 hours after surgery he was on his new crutches thumping down the hall for Sprite and ice cream.

I haven't been an inpatient in decades. I lived on glucose for a while, the creepy liquid diet and the even worse bland, soft diet. I'm surprised that I didn't die of starvation, malnutrition while there.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
After an operation, I only wanted the tea from the liquid diet tray. My doctor didn't want to send me home until my bowels moved. I told him that isn't going to happen with only tea for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So he sent me home anyway.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
I've never been an inpatient at a hospital but my mom had knee replacement surgery back at the end of March this year. She was in the hospital for only a couple of days before she was transferred to a rehab facility. While she was at the hospital, the only thing she wanted was won ton soup from a local Chinese restaurant, so my sisters and I took turns taking some to her.

At the rehab facility (a nursing home), she stayed there for two weeks. I wasn't working at the time, so I was able to visit her there every day. The food they served the patients/residents was actually quite good! In fact, I tried to time my visits so that it was lunchtime. When the food was delivered to the patients' rooms, my mom would eat a quarter of the food on the plate and I would eat the rest. If there were any leftovers, I would take them home in a plastic container. The best thing I ate at the rehab facility was barbecued chicken with a side of baked beans and a slice of corn bread. Everything else I had from there was good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink