Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

http://pathways4health.org/wp-conten...Oct12.FVa_.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Bu bu bu..people say GM food is OK for us. Yeah, this only reinforces my belief that GM food is messing us up.

I don't eat much wheat personally, so these new studies don't change anything for me. This is due to my wife having a severe case of celiac disease (yes, diagnosed, not just inferred like many people do these days), so we are meticulous in reading labels and prepare much of our food ourselves from scratch using gf ingredients.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
What do you mean by "severe" case? I thought it was one of those things where - you either have it, or you don't have it. And if you have it, the symptoms are severe (as in, ANY gluten causes damage, not just some, or most, or it's okay I can touch this bread and pass it down to the other guy sitting next to me).

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What do you mean by "severe" case? I thought it was one of those things where - you either have it, or you don't have it. And if you have it, the symptoms are severe (as in, ANY gluten causes damage, not just some, or most, or it's okay I can touch this bread and pass it down to the other guy sitting next to me).
Yes, you are correct. To be more precise, she just experiences more severe and immediate (in addition to the long term) symptoms. Her aunt has it as well, but is largely asymptomatic, to the point she eats gluten anyway and just lives with it.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
My understanding is that many celiac's are able to eat the heritage wheats {Pre-1900} with no problems whatsoever. However the cost is double that of current flour.

Personally my family is down to a one slice of bread or less per person a day. I am seriously thinking about getting a bag of heritage wheat flour and making the "Daily Bread" ourselves every couple of days.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain.

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says - CBS News

Guess I'll have to replace beer and wheat thins with wine and cheese.
you and Bill O'Reilly, he was blabbling about his a week or so ago...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
My husband has Celiac disease as well, and it is true that some people could be said to have "SEVERE" Celiac, and more milder "varieties". Some people will have a quick, severe reaction to eating something with gluten in it, some, like my husband, just don't feel well the next couple of days. He can drink regular beer, but he's not going to feel well, and his doctor told him he should not start down that road, or he's in for trouble someday. As in intestinal cancer for example. Those without an immediate adverse reaction may tell themselves "just one won't hurt me." But the cumulation of all those "just one" will.
Gluten free beer isn't a marketing tool so much as an alternative for those people who can't have wheat, rye or barley (malt).

Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Interesting, people are tired of beating the "dead horse" corn so lets move on to wheat. Anything to sell a story.

Consumer is not responsible for anything. I quit drinking pop, lost wt.........must have been the corn.

I quit eating so much, lost wt.........dang idiots that put out to big of portions fault that i was fat.

Funny, when I control myself........I'm better off. BS, the government should do that! I don't have time to control myself!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you and Bill O'Reilly, he was blabbling about his a week or so ago...
I didn't write the article if you happened to miss that little tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink