Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,394,485 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. Just wondering if your cooking is good enough for him/her. My SO is the pickiest eater in the land and I have heard, "My mom makes it like...." more than once.

Soooo.... I just make it how I make it and if he doesn't like it oh well I guess. So, we were at his parents for 5 days here recently and I got a chance to eat a lot of his mothers cooking. Her meatloaf has green peppers in it, mine does not. Her mashed potatoes were really good, old school like my mom used to make but I put garlic and cheddar in mine.

Her coleslaw is A LOT different than mine and I like mine better. Soooo.... I will make everything the way I make it and we will go from there.

We had meatloaf and mashed potatoes last night and he loved it, so thats good I spose. I don't think I have gotten any complaints thus far other than he doesn't like things burned. For him, burned means browned.

This is a problem for me. He wants me to pull the lasagna out before the cheese is all the way melted for fear of any browning. I love the brown spots on melted cheese!! There is no way he would eat potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes! I asked his mother about it and she has no idea why he is the way he is...

Is your cooking good enough? I do get thanks you's and dinner was good, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,852,836 times
I try to cook things she likes. If she doesn't like it then she can make her own dinner. She's definitely a picky eater but I eat anything and everything. I'm learning her tastes pretty well though. She's never not eaten something I made for her.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Its funny, when we were very early in our relationship, he came over one night after work and I made breakfast for dinner. I fried some potatoes and some of them were brown and crispy. That is how I love them! He was scooting all those to the side!

I thought he was nuts!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
I'm a much better cook than my MIL. My husband won't even eat in restaurants anymore because he says he would rather eat at home. (I would rather go out sometimes, personally.) He used to be really picky when we were first married, and I wasn't as good a cook then as I am now.

My mom likes to compare my cooking to the things my grandmother used to make when she was a kid, and she never likes mine better...my homemade ice cream is too creamy, my cake is too tall, etc. It's ironic because as soon as my grandmother didn't have children at home, she quit cooking and lived off of occasional McDonald's hamburgers, and a croissant from a bakery for breakfast. So I never experienced the legendary cooking that my mom is still talking about, 45 years after my Grandma quit cooking.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
I am very fortunate that my husband will eat what I fix for supper, no matter what it is. He will tell me if it needs a bit of this or that or if I could have used less of something or not used it at all but it is not him being picky ***** it is him wanting to help make the dish better overall which I definitely appreciate. I was married to a picky eater once and the 2nd time he told me that his Grandma made it better I shut off the stove, threw everything I had cooking in the trash and promptly drove him to his Grandma's house and left his sorry butt there and I went out to supper. There were no more comparisions after that.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am very fortunate that my husband will eat what I fix for supper, no matter what it is. He will tell me if it needs a bit of this or that or if I could have used less of something or not used it at all but it is not him being picky ***** it is him wanting to help make the dish better overall which I definitely appreciate. I was married to a picky eater once and the 2nd time he told me that his Grandma made it better I shut off the stove, threw everything I had cooking in the trash and promptly drove him to his Grandma's house and left his sorry butt there and I went out to supper. There were no more comparisions after that.

Now that sounds like a party right there! WOOT!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Well, I think my guy is coming around. I was just looking around on facebook and I found a picture of last nights dinner on there! His aunt complained that she wasn't invited!

I think that def. made me feel better when I saw that. I had no idea he took a picture of it and put it online! Tablets. Sneaky little things.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,106,705 times
Sometimes I think I could serve cold spaghetti with ketchup and my SO would eat it. I think I'm a pretty good cook, and I get lots of compliments on my baking, but I've not really cooked for many people but SO other than making certain sides for holidays like cranberry sauce. People seem to like that, though. My SO comes from a weird family though where his father and mother didn't really teach him manners or to compliment people.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Well the requests from me on Turkey day are my homemade Sausage stuffing, cheesecake and sweet potatoes. I am used to cooking for a lot of people and then I went through a patch of no cooking at all. now I am cooking for two and for some reason, it's not easy.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times
I am lucky in that my husband's mom is not a good cook (overcooked hamburgers fried in a pan) and his stepmother is stingy with food (one small bowl of broth with some sad vegetables for dinner). He loves my cooking and is like Hedgehog_Dad up there , preferring to eat at home rather than go out. There are a few things I know he dislikes, so I don't make them, but in general he is appreciative. If I am not pleased with a dish and start getting apologetic, he stops me and tells me he is grateful I cook at all. Sometimes he will say something constructive like, "This seems a little salty" or "I like this, but I think the way you made it last time was better. What did you change?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink