Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,513,310 times

Advertisements

In 2010, Americans spent just over 9 percent of their disposable income on food (5.5 percent at home and 3.9 percent eating out).i[/LEFT]
This is a dramatically lower percentage spent just decades ago in the early 1960s, when over 17 percent was spent on food, and even more of a "bargain" compared to 1930, when Americans spent over 24 percent of their disposable income to feed their families...................

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/14/eat-well-without-spending-more.aspx

Any opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
In 2010, Americans spent just over 9 percent of their disposable income on food (5.5 percent at home and 3.9 percent eating out).i[/LEFT]
This is a dramatically lower percentage spent just decades ago in the early 1960s, when over 17 percent was spent on food, and even more of a "bargain" compared to 1930, when Americans spent over 24 percent of their disposable income to feed their families...................

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/14/eat-well-without-spending-more.aspx

Any opinions ?
Hey French.

Interesting article. I wonder where the info came from. How much disposable income do Americans have?

I find it hard to believe that we spend less on food then they did in the 50's and 30's. Those people knew how to scrimp, save, and how to stretch it out. Maybe it's the "disposable" income that is throwing me.

Personally, I think food is expensive here. Maybe you can give us another view. How much do "you" spend per week to eat? And how much of that is going out to eat? And staying in?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hey French.

Interesting article. I wonder where the info came from. How much disposable income do Americans have?

I find it hard to believe that we spend less on food then they did in the 50's and 30's. Those people knew how to scrimp, save, and how to stretch it out. Maybe it's the "disposable" income that is throwing me.

Personally, I think food is expensive here. Maybe you can give us another view. How much do "you" spend per week to eat? And how much of that is going out to eat? And staying in?

It is difficult to answer you .Generally french like eating at house,people like cooking and sometismes they are going to restaurant the week end.
People who work in office go often to restaurant ( fast food: pizzeria,sandwichs like subway...).
But in France we like eating quality,many people prefer paying more for quality ( meat,bread)

Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I noticed that here GENERALLY its all about quantity and very little about quality. Most people do not care about what is on the plate as long the plate is huge and they get a lot of food for the price. But we should not kid ourselves: lots of cheap food = very low quality, "plastic", processed food, because good, quality food is not cheap, and we all know about that.
Actually a quality food is more expensive here than overseas.
I don't really understand the trend with the portions size. We went from 9 inch dinner plates to 12+ and even that seem to be not enough. We went from 8-12 oz drinks that were enough to keep us hydrated to 48 oz buckets we carry with us all the times horrified, that we might drop dead from dehydration if we don't constantly sip on it.
There were enough posts from people complaining that the food portions overseas are so tiny and everything is so "overpriced" because they didn't get the expected amount of food for their buck.
And I agree, generally in Europe people do not go eat out all the times - they prefer to cook at home, and going out ( except a quick lunch) is a reason for a celebration and gathering with friends, and not to just go out to eat, rush with it and move on. Rush in the restaurants is a foreign concept. No one wants to be rushed when eating, drinking, talking with friends and having a good time. People can sip on coffee or wine and sit in a restaurant or cafe for hours. But the whole "going out to eat" has a completely different meaning there...

Back to that article: American spend less on food than in 1930's or 1960's because at that times food was more expensive and real, therefore it did cost more than today.
Today we eat highly processed stuff just mimicking real food and that is cheap. The real food is still expensive.

Last edited by elnina; 09-09-2012 at 04:18 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Seems about right with the numbers at least based on our expendatues. I would expect that if you stratified the statistics obviously people making under 100,000 spend a larger percentage of their income.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that here GENERALLY its all about quantity and very little about quality. Most people do not care about what is on the plate as long the plate is huge and they get a lot of food for the price. But we should not kid ourselves: lots of cheap food = very low quality, "plastic", processed food, because good, quality food is not cheap, and we all know about that.
Actually a quality food is more expensive here than overseas.
I don't really understand the trend with the portions size. We went from 9 inch dinner plates to 12+ and even that seem to be not enough. We went from 8-12 oz drinks that were enough to keep us hydrated to 48 oz buckets we carry with us all the times horrified, that we might drop dead from dehydration if we don't constantly sip on it.
There were enough posts from people complaining that the food portions overseas are so tiny and everything is so "overpriced" because they didn't get the expected amount of food for their buck.
And I agree, generally in Europe people do not go eat out all the times - they prefer to cook at home, and going out ( except a quick lunch) is a reason for a celebration and gathering with friends, and not to just go out to eat, rush with it and move on. Rush in the restaurants is a foreign concept. No one wants to be rushed when eating, drinking, talking with friends and having a good times. People can sip on coffee or wine and sit in a restaurant or cafe for hours. But the whole "going out to eat" has a completely different meaning there...

Back to that article: American spend less on food than in 1930's or 1960's because at that times food was more expensive and real, therefore it did cost more than today.
Today we eat highly processed stuff just mimicking real food and that is cheap. The real food is still expensive.

Hi Elnina,
Maybe it depends of people ( social class,education)

Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The grocery stores in this country are abundantly stocked with shelf-stable FEED. As in, for fattening cattle or hogs. Nearly every processed food item contains some form of either (or both) of two ingredients - soy or corn. And it is almost all genetically modified. Fortunately, when you go to the store, you know where to spend little if any time - the aisles. The whole foods, like meat, dairy, and produce, are on the periphery. The junk is stocked on the shelves.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm not sure it means what the article implies.

If Americans have MORE disposable income... the percentage would be less.

Don't you have to compare that to find out who is REALLY spending more on food?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I've rarely had any disposable income...

Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post

Any opinions ?

Yes I have an opinion; the fact is that I don't know of many people here w/ disposable incomes anymore. Watch the movie Food, Inc. It will definitely add some insight into this.

Food Inc - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink