Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times

Advertisements

OK, hopefully this is the correct thread, as I do not see a cooking thread. Any suggestions for baking pork without having it turn in to shoe leather? Every time I try to do chops or even stir fry the pork comes out almost inedible. I have a gas stove, so I assume that is what is drying it out. I'm also usually over paranoid about pork, so I'm not sure if I'm over cooking it. I don't like to see even a trace of pink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Try brining your meat first.

Brining Pork - Keep it moist and tender by brining first

I do it with chicken all the time and the meat always comes out nice and juicy.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I brined some thick pork chops a few weeks ago and they were so moist and delicious. One of the very few recipes I use canned cream of mushroom soup in is this one: Ex-Mother In Law's Pork Chops With Cream Of Mushroom Recipe - Food.com - 105260

I thinned out the soup with some chicken broth and added thinly sliced onions. It is pretty good and very moist.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,999 times
This is not a commercial, I guess, but try the "cook in bag" things - never had a dried out chop. Otherwise we go for brining or long, slow, and lots of moisture. Neither of these methods give the crispy outside, though.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
So..pan fry the chops...and I agree, people do over cook pork. A bit of pink is fine. I was working a few weeks ago doing catering, they were serving a delicious pork loin...moist juicy...and a bit pink. It was not raw or undercooked...but people were freaking out that the meat was "raw".

I suggest a meat thermometer.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Default US pork is safe at 145 F for 3 minutes

You're overcooking it.

It's been a year and a half since the US government standards were revised. USDA research showed that US pork is completely safe when it is cooked to 145 F for 3 minutes, rather than the old standard of 160 that's shown in the cookbooks we all grew up using.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/di...ered.html?_r=0

Also, if your oven thermostat is off, it can throw cooking times off by a wide margin. When I set my oven to 325 F it gives me 380 instead, which would completely overcook anything I would try to cook using a timer.

The answer is to invest in a good cooking thermometer. I actually use two kinds... a small and slender InstaRead that slips easily into an apron pocket... maybe $10 at a good kitchen store;

http://www.amazon.com/IRT220-InstaRe...ad+thermometer

and a sophisticated electronic thermometer with a 3' long probe that I can run inside an oven, with the display outside, and even have it alert me when the desired temperature is reached. Very, very handy and only about $30. Oops, out of stock... must be a new model coming.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Digital-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Last edited by OpenD; 10-24-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,060 times
Smile We have never baked pork before !

When we have pork chops we marinate them for a few hours in a very light brine using our own spice blend then we sear and brown them in a skillet, then they go into a pressure cooker until they are fork tender. Serve them with spicy french cut green beans and mashed potatoes and gravy.
Yes we have apple sauce with the chops !

Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
It's not the gas oven. They're just overcooked. If you're doing chops, bread them. Breading helps seal in the juices. I like to use the mid-thickness ones for the oven. 350 for 30 minutes.

I also fry mine in a skillet with a tad of olive oil, garlic, pepper and paprika. It's delicious. They come out a beautiful orange color. Use the thinner ones for the skillet. It's just mere minutes per side.

If you're doing a roast, it's a good idea to cover the roast. A crock pot is also a great way to cook a pork roast.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
OK, hopefully this is the correct thread, as I do not see a cooking thread. Any suggestions for baking pork without having it turn in to shoe leather? Every time I try to do chops or even stir fry the pork comes out almost inedible. I have a gas stove, so I assume that is what is drying it out. I'm also usually over paranoid about pork, so I'm not sure if I'm over cooking it. I don't like to see even a trace of pink.
What kind of pork are you cooking, pork loin, chips, steaks, shoulder? They all require different methods, but I am guessing you are overcooking it...If you are doing chops or steaks, you want to fry or grill them and do not overook them. You can use a meat therm to check the doneness, a little pink is fine. If you are doing a shoulder, for instance, cook for hours, very slowly, either in a 250 degree oven or the crock pot or a smoker, if you have one. If you are doing a pork loin you do not want to cook it long either, again use a meat therm to test. A good way to keep pork moist, not only do not overcook, but use a little friut juice, a bourbon or rum type of sause, something like that. it will add moisture...it helps to marinate the meat as well. Chops work better if they are breaded, to lock in the juices. But regardless of what you are cooking, it sounds like you are overcooking. Remember what we learned about cooking meats 20, 30 or 50 years ago, may not be the correct method..We live and learn as the saying goes.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Velvet, I'n not sure where you are but I will tell you that lately in Texas the pork is so tough, there's little you can do about it. I started brining a long time ago and it helps but not enough. And no, I do not overcook pork, I am one of those who thinks pink is fine. Lately, we've been buying pork chops at the Super Target and they are they best I've has since living in Memphis a few years ago. That's when I realized it wasn't me, all pork is not equal. They are breeding pigs leaner these days (pork the other white meat), but IMO, you lose the fat, you lose the flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink