Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I
I had another friend whose parents were refugees from Poland. They didn't have a great deal of money and a modest home because their priority was sending their kids to college. But the food was wonderful. One of the grandmothers lived with them and did the cooking since his mother worked. She used to fix sour spinach soup with hard-boiled eggs floating in it . Her food probably cost less than what the physician's wife spent but... I tried to go there whenever I could.
ZUREK! One of the best traditional Polish soups! (And the Poles have a ton of great, traditional soups -- they're big soup eaters.) My wife and I have many friends in Poland, and eating home-made zurek when we visit them is always a sentimental highlight. Even now, it brings tears to my eyes.

Top 17 Polish soups ? Polish food list, photos & recipes

A poem...

Winter in Zakopane:
my wife dozes under the quilt
as Marzena and her sisters
make zurek in the kitchen,
while Matusz and I sip Zubrowka,
watching the snowflakes fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Whole fish roes, dipped in flour, fried in butter and served on buttered toast.
Nowadays whole fresh roes are expensive though.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
ZUREK! One of the best traditional Polish soups! (And the Poles have a ton of great, traditional soups -- they're big soup eaters.) My wife and I have many friends in Poland, and eating home-made zurek when we visit them is always a sentimental highlight. Even now, it brings tears to my eyes.

Top 17 Polish soups ? Polish food list, photos & recipes

A poem...

Winter in Zakopane:
my wife dozes under the quilt
as Marzena and her sisters
make zurek in the kitchen,
while Matusz and I sip Zubrowka,
watching the snowflakes fall
I love Polish pickle soup. Used to buy that when I lived in Greenpoint. Sadly I didn't get to try Zurek.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
This probably sounds sarcastic, but it is not. If we had something other than red meat, like CHICKEN, it was a treat. The reason was I grew up in Texas, and back then, beef was far cheaper. It was common for everyone to own a deep freeze, and once a year buy a side of beef. The Butcher shop would deliver it, with each cut wrapped in white paper. The first things to go were the best, TBones and RibEyes. After 8 or 9 months, all that was left was hard frozen ground hamburger meat and soup bones. Which meant that ground beef was used in EVERYTHING. The worst of the worst was cassarole, with greasy meat as the base and lal the leftover veggies in the fridge (or leftover pasta or who knows what)

Chicken cost more than beef, so once a month when we had fried chicken, it wasa treat. Of course, mom would buy a whole chicken and cut up the pieces.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My mom was the Soup Queen. She usually had a big pot of some kind of soup simmering on the stove..and it was good! A great way to use up left-overs, get one more meal from a chicken, or use healthy and inexpensive fillers such as cabbage, barley, lentils, and potatoes.

To this day, I make a lot of soup...it's comfort food for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I love Polish pickle soup. Used to buy that when I lived in Greenpoint. Sadly I didn't get to try Zurek.
Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and meet some Poles -- or even luckier, visit Poland some day. Here are some of our favorite places:

Krakow, medieval capital....

Krakow Tourism and Vacations: 223 Things to Do in Krakow, Poland | TripAdvisor

Zakopane, in the Carpathian mountains...

Welcome to Zakopane, beautiful mountains, great hotels - perfect holidays.

Torun, where they invented gingerbread....

Visit Toru

And tiny Stare Sacz, nestled in the hills...

Stary S

Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
We grew up on rye toast w/butter or white bread w/peanut butter & coffee, sometimes for dinner, too. When we asked for candy, we got a sugar & butter sandwich... 1 slice of bread only. Mayo sandwiches were fairly common, too... to this day if I smell mayo or see anyone else eat it, I wretch.

I recall my 3rd grade teacher (our public school teachers were all very old retired nuns) talking about the benefits of a good breakfast & going around the class to ask kids to recite their breakfasts that morning. Everyone mentioned French toast, bacon & eggs, fried potatoes... all treats we would be lucky to have for dinner occasionally. When she got to me & I said toast & coffee... that terrifying, 88-yr old ex-nun ninja flew out of her seat with a giant stick & hit me, making me wear a giant dunce cap & sit on a big stool in the corner, facing the wall all day long for lying, because, 'No mother would ever feed her child such things'.

I had no idea we were so poor 'til that morning. When she did the same exercise on subsequent days, I stood for 2-min to recite a litany of fake food I was supposed to have eaten to avoid ever getting hit again. So, basically, my ex-nun ninja teacher taught me how to lie in order to avoid physical violence & public humiliation.

But... I still love peanut butter toast or buttered rye toast & coffee, so giant tongue stick to her...

Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Funny. In a wretched sort of way. I remember one Thanksgiving, I was alone, and had a turkey TV dinner, a new one, in the shiny tray, with peas and mashed potatoes, a small cranberry cobbler. I was eight.

Lifestyles of the child with a single Mother.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
My mom woud go balistic when we kids would stare into the fridge and say..."there is nothing good to eat". She and dad were depression era kids and we got the ...If you were hungry you'ld eat crap. Mom didnt say crap, but you get the idea.

Mom was a fantastic cook. She could take a few simple ingredients and make a feast. Dad had good jobs, but there were lots of us...We usually had a grandparent, or uncle, or cousins staying with us...Durring the summer we had cousins visiting. thats a lot of people to cook for but mom didnt skip a beat. Eveyone pitched in. Some meat, two sides and a salad. The girls always made a desert.

Mom had a great menu...a mix of American favorites, traditional Tex-Mex, and country...Dad cooked Spaghetti and sauce on sunday or Meatloaf or BBQ...mmmm

Fridays it was eat out...our favorites were A&W rootbeer or San Pedro Pier.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Spaghetti, migas, fideo, casseroles, potato and egg tacos were our poor meals growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink