Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times

Advertisements

My family sure wasnt weathly and really had to budget. Had taco salad, hamburger pie, soups stews and chili. Anything homemade that made larger portions for leftovers was used a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
You guys don't know poor... My mom would boil 2 hot dogs ( not beef, the kind with chicken lips and cow udders), my mom and dad would eat the hotdogs and us 3 kids would get "wienie water soup" with crackers. Sometimes I still crave "wienie water soup"

One good thing, we never worried about being overweight!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:39 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
One good thing, we never worried about being overweight!
Yeah, same here, I was always a skinny kid, now I know why! Maybe I need to go back on my childhood diet!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Our poor days were pancakes, which to this day I can barely stomach, Tuna wiggle on toast, SOS, canned tomato soup and crackers, or homemade bean or split pea soup.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
My family sure wasnt weathly and really had to budget. Had taco salad, hamburger pie, soups stews and chili. Anything homemade that made larger portions for leftovers was used a lot.
Amazing, you added stew to your list: I remember when, yes, it was a budget meal. Now, at the cost of stew meat and short ribs, niether is what I would consider a budget dish. My how times do change.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Amazing, you added stew to your list: I remember when, yes, it was a budget meal. Now, at the cost of stew meat and short ribs, niether is what I would consider a budget dish. My how times do change.
I am not the OP but our "stews" actually used leftover meat and veggies. Or I would use one small piece of meat to flavor the stew and shred the meat so there's a tiny bit of meat in some of the bites. But you are right that nowadays, a regular hearty beef stew full of meat is NOT a budget dish anymore.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Love ground beef with mashed potatoes. We called it creamed beef and it was a staple in our home and always my favorite dinner! I could eat it for days in a row, but now that I'm an adult - I can't burn it off as fast so I haven't made it in years.

We were pretty poor. Not starving but we did have to regularly use food boxes. Even though we were broke growing up, I never felt our meals were any less delicious. Our staples included chili (homemade), hamburger helper and spaghetti (both without hamburger), tatertot casserole, hot dogs if they were on sale, breakfast, and cereal.

There was only one meal I ever ate where I felt poor and it was when we had to eat lasanga noodles plain because there wasn't anything else. Yuck!
We used to have potatoes and meat in our home too. We called it hash. It was so delicious. Mom would burn the hamburger and caramelize the potatoes just right.

We also had hamburger helper and spaghetti, but I didn't feel poor eating that, it was such a treat.

The poor meal we had quite a lot was the canned sour kraut and Polish sausage. One time my mom made potato soup because we were in a bad place financially. I remember being hungry sometimes, but that just made the food taste better when I had my fill.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
A lot of the low cost foods of my childhood are no longer cheap to make because of the way prices have gone up on ingredients.

We used to eat chuck steaks when they were on sale for 19 cents a pound. Beef stew was cheap. Short ribs were cheap. The last time I saw short ribs for sale they were over $8 a pound. Liver was cheap; not any more.

My mother would make macaroni and cheese with good cheddar, real butter, and good milk. That decent cheddar cheese now costs more than beef.

I think tuna casserole is still cheap to make, except you'd have to leave off the crushed potatoes chip topping. Potato chips are no longer cheap.

Spaghetti is still fairly inexpensive if you are carefull.

Potatoes and eggs is still a moderately priced a d delicious meal, except for the high cost of the cooking oil.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
.Potatoes and eggs is still a moderately priced a d delicious meal, except for the high cost of the cooking oil.
Cooking oil? Yuk. Eggs and potatoes are supposed to be cooked in butter, nothing else. Kerry Gold Unsalted is the tastiest.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Lard baby, lard..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink