Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM

149 posts, read 271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Actually you can and do. They have spoons mostly for people who are Westerners or for some folk who just prefer a spoon. Often times, people eat their soup like Miso with the Chopstick. It is essentially a guide to get the chunky morsels of the soup to your mouth, then you drink the soup base itself.
Yeah that was kinda what I was getting at: unless you pick up the bowl, the chopsticks don't work that well (aside from whatever is in the broth). I use all untencils myself, but the right tool for the right job. I dont mind drinking out of the bowl, but it tends to be frowned upon in western culture for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Yeah that was kinda what I was getting at: unless you pick up the bowl, the chopsticks don't work that well (aside from whatever is in the broth). I use all untencils myself, but the right tool for the right job. I dont mind drinking out of the bowl, but it tends to be frowned upon in western culture for the most part.

Well to me that is efficient and proper. The westerners who have the closed mind just needs to get over it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Depends on what I am eating. Sometimes I go somewhere and they give you chopsticks and a giant hunk of duck. How am I supposed to eat a whole duck breast with some damn chopsticks?

Or, they give you non-sticky rice. Almost impossible for me to eat that with a 'stick. I'll chow down some noodles and/or sushi with them, though.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Yes I do. When in Rome...

It's just part of the experience. And I enjoy the food more if I use the chopsticks.
Even if I eat Asian food at home, I will use chopsticks. I got an 80 pack of bamboo chopsticks for under $3. Beats the price of flatware. I know I can get the lacquered ones, but I prefer the bamboo. Even have the melamine dishes and the Asian soup spoons.

Maybe I like to replicate the restaurant experience, or maybe I'm just weird.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Been using them since I was about three or four and living in mainland China. Over the course of some years I also lived in Japan and Korea. I use them at home and in restaurants and always carried a pair with me when in the field in the military. Very handy and second nature to me!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I know it's kind of odd question, but I've been wondering about it: do you use chopsticks when you eat Asian food?

Personally, I enjoy it. And it seems fitting somehow. In fact it almost feels weird to me to not use them when eating Asian foods. Have you seen someone eat a noodle dish with a fork and knife at a Chinese restaurant? I have and it makes me wince just thinking about it. Not sure why. Then again, if I go out to eat with my aunt and they server the meal with chopsticks, she always asks for a fork because she simply can not figure out how to use them.

But sometimes I wonder: woudn't it be easier to use a knife, fork and spoon? Do you find it fun to eat with chopsticks because it's not the normal fork and knife? If you're at a Chinese restaurant and they're not on the table do you seek them out?
I eat Asian food with chopsticks when I am in Asia. But when I eat Asian food in the USA I use a knife and fork.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Yes I do too, and I like them for other foods as well, especially salad. Now I find my salad falling off my fork when I eat out without them. Hosted years of Japanese foreign exchange students so got used to chopsticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink