Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM

149 posts, read 270,980 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a trend over the past couple of years of people bringing dogs to restaurants. Usually it's at the outside tables at cafes or neighborhood bars. But more and more I've also seen people just straight up bring their dogs inside the dining area and lay next to the table while they eat.

I wonder where they draw the line. For example, if one were to bring in a pet bird or pet rat would it be ok they put him on the table to take a few nibbles if bread? Have you seen this happening in your area? What are your thoughts on people doing this?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I've noticed a trend over the past couple of years of people bringing dogs to restaurants. Usually it's at the outside tables at cafes or neighborhood bars. But more and more I've also seen people just straight up bring their dogs inside the dining area and lay next to the table while they eat.

I wonder where they draw the line. For example, if one were to bring in a pet bird or pet rat would it be ok they put him on the table to take a few nibbles if bread? Have you seen this happening in your area? What are your thoughts on people doing this?
My opinions are mixed. In some ways its unsanitary, but then again I know a lot of humans who are much less sanitary than my dog. However, if I am eating at a restaurant and a dog shakes out and some of his hair goes flying, I'm going to be pretty annoyed about that. Therefore, I think restaurants should only let people have their dogs outside in patio seating where other animals are often likely to be nearby regardless.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Yuck!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
No problem at all unless the Dog is unruly or dirty/smelly. As long as it's a reasonably clean dog, and well behaved and stays under the table or near his owner's table I don't care.

Plenty of dirty disgusting adult and kid customers and I would prefer a dog to those. Kids can be pretty gross as well as incredibly noisy and disruptive and most people seem to find this quite acceptable.

I think it is a cultural thing to be honest, many places in Europe it is considered perfectly normal. I don't remember ever getting some ghastly illness from a canine in a restaurant. I have also never been bothered by a Dog but I have however had many dinners ruined by kids or obnoxious adults...

I do draw the line at animals which are let to roam free however. I went to a restaurant in Oxford where one of the customer had this obnoxious parrot which was actually flying over our table.

I was not a happy bunny. This would actually be illegal in the UK I think but as the customer was also a friend of the owner nothing was going to happen unless I actually made a big fuss and called the police which would have been a tad ridiculous too. We just finished our starters and left without buying anything else. The same would go for wondering pet rats, snakes, whatever.

Well behaved and in clean condition no problem. When it starts to disturb my dinner then I really object though.

To me it's about balance and using your common sense.

And of course there is the issue of Guide Dogs or Medical Dogs.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Pets have their place, and one of them is not at a restaurant. Some people just want attention.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Our beautiful Samoyed Dog passed away 2 mos. ago, but up until then weather permitting, she came to every outdoor restaurant with us. She loved going down to the beach, laying next to the table, eating drunkin' shrimp, watching the boats go by. Up until a few yrs. ago, dogs and cats were allowed in all restaurants in Key West. I would rather see a dog or cat then noisy kids, running around and the parents ignoring them.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
A chef can prepare a dog a lot better than can most home cooks ... and generally inm less than an hour. This gives you some time for a couple of drinks and some good conversation.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
my dogs are better behaved and less destructive than most children these days.....

Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Dog friendliness has gone too far. First, it's extremely insensitive for dog owners to bring their dogs into restaurants, and crazy for management to allow it. It's both a public health issue and an affront to people who do not wish to be around them.

In most states, mine included, it is against the law to bring a dog into a restaurant or any food service areas unless they are a certified service animal.

Dogs are allowed in open outdoor dining areas here as long as the restaurant posts a conspicuous sign saying they are allowed, so that other diners have warning that dogs could be present. It's the least they can do.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Shucks...in Boca Raton, they dress up dogs in baby clothes and push them around in strollers. I was not sure if it was a dog or a really ugly baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink