Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

I made tiramisu for the first time a few days ago. My husband loves it, but restuarants always seem to add liqueur and he does not touch alcohol. I was shopping for Thanksgiving, saw a package of ladyfingers with a recipe without alcohol, and picked them up on a whim.

The recipe involved creaming egg yolks and sugar together, then mixing in mascarpone and whipped egg whites. Briefly soak the ladyfingers in coffee, layer with the cream, refrigerate. I didn't think much of it until my husband asked if he should preheat the oven for me, but tiramisu is simply assembled, not baked. He was hesitant, borderline grossed-out at first that the dessert had raw eggs in it. (He got over it and had two helpings.) I looked at other tiramisu recipes, and some of them call for the egg cream to be gently cooked, but many others include raw eggs. The tiramisu is tasty, but serving something with raw eggs in it is a first for me. And is that what the liqueur is for? To kill any possible salmonella?

What are your thoughts about eating raw eggs? Glugging down a glass of freshly cracked eggs like Rocky Balboa is pretty gross, but would it bother you to eat them in a dish like tiramisu? Some meringues use raw egg whites, and I believe traditional Caesar dressing uses raw eggs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I made tiramisu for the first time a few days ago. My husband loves it, but restuarants always seem to add liqueur and he does not touch alcohol. I was shopping for Thanksgiving, saw a package of ladyfingers with a recipe without alcohol, and picked them up on a whim.

The recipe involved creaming egg yolks and sugar together, then mixing in mascarpone and whipped egg whites. Briefly soak the ladyfingers in coffee, layer with the cream, refrigerate. I didn't think much of it until my husband asked if he should preheat the oven for me, but tiramisu is simply assembled, not baked. He was hesitant, borderline grossed-out at first that the dessert had raw eggs in it. (He got over it and had two helpings.) I looked at other tiramisu recipes, and some of them call for the egg cream to be gently cooked, but many others include raw eggs. The tiramisu is tasty, but serving something with raw eggs in it is a first for me. And is that what the liqueur is for? To kill any possible salmonella?

What are your thoughts about eating raw eggs? Glugging down a glass of freshly cracked eggs like Rocky Balboa is pretty gross, but would it bother you to eat them in a dish like tiramisu? Some meringues use raw egg whites, and I believe traditional Caesar dressing uses raw eggs as well.
So does eggnog.....

(Sorry....couldn't resist!)

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM

LOL, no wonder people have to spike it with booze. My husband's godparents' nog seems to be bourbon with a little whipped cream mixed in. Now I know why ... they're killing the eggs!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Eating raw eggs is flirting with disaster. I would not do it.

This author has tracked down what he believes is the original recipe. It actually uses a cooked custard. I do not see whipped egg whites in it. It uses whipped cream.

The Classic Tiramisu (original recipe?) - Test Recipes - Cooking For Engineers

I would not use raw eggs for eggnog or Caesar dressing, either.

The dishes we are talking about are often made for special occasions and served to guests. I would hate to think I made friends ill when the recipe can be made with cooked eggs or pasteurized eggs. What if a guest had a medical condition, unknown to you, that made him more susceptible to infections and your raw eggs landed him in the hospital?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Just use pasturized shell eggs.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Yeah, most eggs are pasteurized so you don't have to even think about it. I do have qualms about eating raw eggs, but some of the fittest people out there, like pro boxers, make raw-egg-based shakes to stay in training and you never hear about them keeling over from eggborne illnesses.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Yeah, most eggs are pasteurized so you don't have to even think about it. I do have qualms about eating raw eggs, but some of the fittest people out there, like pro boxers, make raw-egg-based shakes to stay in training and you never hear about them keeling over from eggborne illnesses.

No most shell eggs are not pasturized.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Eating raw eggs is flirting with disaster. I would not do it.

This author has tracked down what he believes is the original recipe. It actually uses a cooked custard. I do not see whipped egg whites in it. It uses whipped cream.

The Classic Tiramisu (original recipe?) - Test Recipes - Cooking For Engineers

I would not use raw eggs for eggnog or Caesar dressing, either.

The dishes we are talking about are often made for special occasions and served to guests. I would hate to think I made friends ill when the recipe can be made with cooked eggs or pasteurized eggs. What if a guest had a medical condition, unknown to you, that made him more susceptible to infections and your raw eggs landed him in the hospital?
I don't have many guests with mysterious illnesses--I am just concerned about raw eggs in general. Your recipe includes wine, by the way, so I can't make that. I do plan to cook the custard the next time I prepare tiramisu, using a different recipe. The one I used also called for way too much coffee, much more than I needed.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Here's a dumb question. I've never deliberately bought pasteurized eggs. Are they sold in most grocery stores, or do I have to seek them out at Whole Foods or something?

Our chickens will start laying eggs any day, so I will not have store-bought eggs very much after that, but it's good to know where to get them if I need them.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't worry about it. I find very few occasions to eat raw eggs, and I just do it without thinking about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
(He got over it and had two helpings.)
Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink