Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,206 times

Advertisements

I normally love Rice A Roni and Macaroni & cheese, when it comes to a meatless dinner. That with a small salad.

When you make a meatless dinner, what do you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
If you're ok eating rice and a salad then you'd probably be fine with most of what I eat - which is mostly meatless even though I'm a carnivore. Beans and cheese give me protein - plus I love starch - and then a veg or salad.

Some ideas...

rice and beans - several different ways - the bean and seasoning makes a big difference (black eyed peas, chick peas, black beans, refried beans, for example)

pasta with marinara sauce or with garlic/oil/cheese or pesto

apple with peanut butter or sharp cheddar cheese

quesadillas with just cheese or with beans too

baked potato with veggie and cheese

baked sweet potato just plain

marinated artichoke hearts with chick peas (high protein and tasty - tuna is good in this too - or just have it with crackers)

Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
When I was a kid my mom made a meatless meal once a week and I loved it. When I moved out I made lots of meatless meals for myself. Now I couldn't get away with it if I tried thanks to my hubby and son.

Anyway, I like veggie chili made with beans and lots of bell peppers. Lots of bean dishes like red beans and rice. Veggie quesadillas...Baked potatoes and salad is always good. I love, love, love Giada's Portobello Parmigiana recipe and would eat it twice a week if I could.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
I could make a meal with grits or rice and some fixin's. I see no particular reason to leave out the meat though. A meal without meat is like a day without sunshine! Guess once a week wouldn't be a big deal though ....saves $$ Tonight we had grits with cheese and pan sausage...I can eat plain grits with butter and cheese as a meal. But, the addition of the sausage is unbeatable. Chicken Rice a Roni I love and could possibly get by on it alone on occasion. Mac & Cheese was a big deal back in hunting cabin days. Pot of beans can serve for a time......

Last edited by SATX56; 06-21-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Oh ya - not sure if you're counting eggs as meat but that's a good protein meal also.

I hear ya Satx and mostly agree. I just hate bothering with meat when it's just me for some reason - easier to make smaller portions of non meat "meals" and I like just picking around anyway

Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
California Rolls....(ok some "krab" is in there...does that count?)

mac n cheese

DS and I love to make up a batch of this and eat it with a bit of cheese melted on top...chips are optional:
Veggie Chili Beans and Rice with Chili Garlic Chips — Pinch My Salt

Potato leek soup

good ole PB&J or grilled cheese

veggie omelete

If it's just me, I'd have to be honest and add: bowl of cereal or bowl of popcorn and some fresh fruit...

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-21-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Oh ya - not sure if you're counting eggs as meat but that's a good protein meal also.

I hear ya Satx and mostly agree. I just hate bothering with meat when it's just me for some reason - easier to make smaller portions of non meat "meals" and I like just picking around anyway
You're right Toos!! I'd likely eat more single serving type things if alone.. Eggs for one, if not included as meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
California Rolls....(ok some "krab" is in there...does that count?)

mac n cheese

DS and I love to make up a batch of this and eat it with a bit of cheese melted on top...chips are optional:
Veggie Chili Beans and Rice with Chili Garlic Chips — Pinch My Salt

Potato leak soup

good ole PB&J or grilled cheese

veggie omelete
Soups...potato, leek, cheese etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
I make "pizzas" with a portabello mushroom as the crust. I spread cream cheese mixed with parm on them, tomato sauce, mozz, veggies. Bake at 400 for about 17 minutes.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,866 times
I usually fix eggplant parmesan, a salad, green beans, and maybe corn or steamed califlower and broccoli with melted chesse.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,753 times
No meat in the world is better than eggplant parmesan.

Ok, ok, prosciutto is, but this is the meatless dinner thread, right?
So I am going to pick eggplant parmesan and pasta with pesto or ricotta and spinach gnocchi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink