Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I find it interesting how many lament the cost of eating healthier food, so opt out for cheap unhealthy food instead. Has anyone factored the long term healthcare costs into the equation?
Give it a whirl if you like. I think you will find it an impossible task since you don't know what people eat in or out.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Our favorite place is a small Thai restaurant, run by a couple who escaped...

...they told us part of their escape story, and the unbelievably cruel things that happened to their families.

What in Thailand were they escaping from, please?

Or, were they Cambodians fleeing the Khmer Rouge who escaped to Thailand, then came to the U.S.?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's cuz they ARE frozen dinners.
I doubt that places like diners and other family-style restaurants that have huge menus use all fresh ingredients, either. You see the Sysco trucks rolling up to mom and pop restaurants, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
If going to Brooklyn for some Italian then on to China town to have some authentic Chinese food isn't getting out in your book I don't know what would be.
You can do that in any decent-sized city in the country. One person of Italian or Chinese descent living in Louisville or Kansas City or Milwaukee or Chicago or Cleveland or Denver is no less Italian or Chinese than another person of Italian or Chinese descent living in New York or Philadelphia.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM

569 posts, read 671,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Every now and then, I do get a hankering for Olive Garden's soup, salad, and breadsticks. I won't touch anything else they serve.
I think I am the only one that doesn't like their breadsticks (of people I know that go there). I have only been 2X so not a large sampling but they too salty in my opinion. I have my own things that I like super salty though (tortilla chips) so I don't understand why I can't take the breadsticks being salty.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I like Red Lobster but don't have one close enough to go. I would happily visit weekly just to have a cup of clam chowder, small house salad, and cheddar bay biscuits, YUM!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I was shocked to hear that two families I know went to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving, and they thought it was great. There are no words.

What is the saying? "You'll never go broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

As for the OPs question, when I see a full parking lot at a chain restaurant on a Tuesday night, I think some parents just got off work and have to get several kids to a few sports in an hour.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
Default Very Expensive

Since I'm slowly returning to being a vegan, it's hard for me to go out since everything in most restaurants have some animal product in them and everything is served with meat, even salads!! Olive Garden I love their salad, but I heard that the dressing has eggs with the mixture so that's out, then I use to love Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits, but nothing else, but no more dairy so ex it out! Let's not forget butter, beef or chicken stock in soups and what not. Not to mention that yes eating out is VERY expensive, but I'm seeing that my very diet change is friggin expensive! But I'm hanging in. Oh and Joe's Crab Shack had some VERY good crab nachos! No longer can eat that as well. I need to find someplace that is vegan friendly, like more vegan restaurants around and stuff.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
When I'm on the run, from time to time, I've enjoyed the 500 calorie entrees at Applebee's (there's a chicken dish with grilled vegetables) that not pricey--and tasty!

But oh! The salt content is so very high, I'm thirsty for hours afterwards. Most chain restaurants are off my radar screen because of my salt-restricted way of eating.

I wish more/some restuarants would let us add the salt and not serve their food already highly salted.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I wish more/some restuarants would let us add the salt and not serve their food already highly salted.
I certainly understand that there are some places, particularly the chains, that serve overly salted foods at times perhaps. However, from a culinary/fine dining perspected salt and pepper are a must in cooking. Without it things just don't taste right, and no real chef is going to put out bland, blah food. Salt, Pepper and real butter are staples of good cooking.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
how can you act all high and mighty and then talk about smoking in the dining room lol

i like going out to eat at cheap-ish places every once in a while because its nice to get out around other people and its nice not to have to do any work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink